Chapter 14

"What are you doing?" Marie asked.

Grace held her hands up, "Someone's in your house. Wants to hurt your kids. You need to leave."

Marie chuckled and only then did Grace notice her clothes. All black. A ski mask was on the bed. Her eyes widened. Marie pulled out a gun, "Thought it was my made up brother Andy, huh? Well, nope. It was me. All along. And you fell for it."

Grace swallowed the rising fear, "Marie don't do this. Your kids. They are in the house."

"Your negotiating skills won't work on me." The gun wavered closer to her face.

"Mommy?" Daniel's head appeared in the doorway, "Tracy 'pilled her milk..." His eyes widened when he saw the gun and he backed out.

"Daniel!" Marie pointed the gun at him, "Come here!"

"No!" Grace lunged in front of Daniel, "Don't hurt him! He's your kid!"

Marie fired straight in the air, "Don't tell me what to do!"

Lucy stood in the hall, holding Tracy in her arms. Her eyes were filled with fear. "Mom!" Tracy started crying and Lucy held her tight, "Mom! That's Dad's gun! He told you not to touch it!"

"Dad's gone! He doesn't tell me what to do anymore!"

"Marie!" Grace's voice was stern. "These are your kids! Don't hurt them." The gun was again pointing at her. Daniel stood behind her legs, gripping them for all he was worth.

Marie went ballistic, shouting terrible things and yelling at Grace and the children. At the least the gun wasn't firing anymore. But this might take a while.

~~~~~

Soon enough, everyone pulled in front of the Sills' house. The portable command center had been set up. Hunter got in his gear, pushed the COMMS into his ear and stood waiting with the rest of the SWAT team. Time to do what he did best. Many agents, including Cole, Jack, and Dominic crept around the house to get a better view inside. Olivia stood by the command center waiting, and speaking into the COMMS. Nicole sat by the ambulance. Paige was in Kevlar gear, ready to go in as a spare negotiator in case Grace got in trouble. Damon stood next to Hunter, all suited up. "You ready?"

He nodded, "Ready."

Dominic's voice came through his ear, "We've spotted them. Marie, Grace, and a little boy are in the master bedroom."

"Daniel is the boy's name." Olivia noted.

"Right. Daniel." Dominic corrected. "He's standing behind Grace's legs."

"And the other two children, both girls, are in the hall watching." Jack added.

"Tracy and Lucy. Lucy is the older one." Olivia told him.

"Sorry. Anyways. They are terrified, by the looks of it."

"Marie has a gun on Grace." Cole whispered, his tone deadly. "She looks like she is yelling crazy things. But so far she hasn't fired. She was dumb and left the blinds open. So SWAT can move in."

Grace and Paige's captain, Max, came over the COMMS, "You heard the man. SWAT, move in."

Damon saluted to Hunter as they then moved in and settled into their positions. From his spot on the ground, Hunter had a good aim. Damon had a better one, and he hoped he didn't have to shoot Marie. What if he accidentally hit Grace? Please Lord, keep her safe.

~~~~~

Grace absently noted that there were people outside. Hope soared. She might make it out of this alive. "Marie, calm down. Anger isn't going to fix anything."

"I know. Look where it got John. You got him killed. Hostage negotiators have no heart and I don't ever want to see another one alive again. I'll kill them one by one. Starting with you."

Lucy gasped from the hall and Tracy whimpered, "Mama."

"Tracy! Be quiet!" Marie yelled. Tracy just started wailing. Out of the corner of her eye, Grace saw movement. Someone who looked like Jack snuck in and motioned for Lucy and Tracy to come to him. "You!" Marie screamed. "What are you doing with my kids!?" She fired at Jack. He dove for Lucy and Tracy. Shielding them with his body, Marie's bullet missed all three.

Cole appeared in the door. "Jack!" he called.

"Mom!" Lucy screamed. "Mom! Stop!"

Marie fired again.

Jack shielded the girls again and was able to pass Tracy on to Cole, who ran out of the building. Hopefully Tracy would be safe now.

While Jack laid on top of Lucy, Marie's gun went back to Grace. "This is all your fault." She growled. "Give me my son, or I shoot."

Daniel cowered behind Grace, "Mommy is scary. No."

Marie put on a sweet voice, "Daniel, come here sweetie."

Daniel shook his head, "No. Mommy scary."

"Honey, I won't hurt you."

"Mommy a liar."

Marie gasped and pointed the gun at him, "Daniel!"

"Marie!" Grace cried, "No!"

Jack took that time to run out of the house with Lucy in his arms.

Marie got angry and fired again. Grace jumped to the ground, pulling Daniel underneath her. Dominic was creeping in the room. "What are you doing here?!" Marie shouted at him. "Get out of my house!"

"Marie! Think! Your kids. You love them. Don't do this to them. They need a mother who loves and cares for them. Not a killer." Grace exclaimed from her spot on the ground.

Marie laughed, "No, they need their father's killer dead. All of them."

"Marie, look around. SWAT is lining the windows. One wrong move and they'll hit you." Marie looked around and Dominic took that time to grab Daniel and run. Grace saw Hunter behind the house and made eye contact with him. Standing, she tapped two fingers on the side of her thigh.

The symbol for fire.