Eight | California King

"A tear?" Gideon looked dubious.

"Mhmm," Cal mumbled with a smile. "Take this vial, collect one tear, and I will find your mother." She dropped the thimble-sized vial in Visena's palm and crossed her arms.

"How am I supposed to get a tear in this? Or make myself cry." It was a tiny vessel. Visena mirrored Gideon's look of doubt.

"I could help." Cal cleaned under her fingernails, looking disinterested. But Gideon knew appearances could be deceiving. He was about to protest when Visena spoke.

"Okay. Try."

Cal whispered a few words under her breath and touched her index finger to Visena's forehead. Immediately, agonising pain wracked her body, and she hunched over. It felt like her insides were going to escape through her pores.

"Stop, Calypso," Gideon growled, and the pain stopped in an instant. He held his hands out for Visena to hold as she straightened up. Visena's silver eyes did not shed a single tear to his surprise. 

Calypso, however, was not surprised at all. She clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes. "Fae..." she murmured before shutting the door in their faces.

Gideon's barely restrained frustration was palpable. Holding back from shifting, the Alpha stalked away from the witch's cottage. He slowly calmed down, walking towards the pack house with Visena's hand clasped in his. When they reached home, she excused herself to her room for a few minutes. It was a challenge to make Gideon let her go, but she promised she wouldn't be long, and then they could talk in his office.

After a much-needed shower, Visena lay prone on the floor with the vial in her hand. She took a few deep breaths, and turned her head slightly to look out the window. The lowered vantage point showed blue skies and cumulus clouds with a spattering of trees outside.

The clouds rolled lazily, and it made Visena sleepy. She stared until her eyes burned, almost giving up until a hazy image entered her mind. 

Her mother's eyes. They were iridescent like oil on wet pavement.

What caught her attention was the single tear rolling down her cheek and into the crease of her smiling lips. Was she happy? Her head shook side to side. Not happy... Love. 

Her mother felt love. 

It was probably towards her daughter, but Visena's memory loss took the love she had for her mother too.

The tired Fae groaned so loud she heard chuckles from the floor below. Her face flushed as she stood and walked from her room to Gideon's. Before her knuckles wrapped on the door, Gideon opened it in a rush. Visena's hair fluttered around her face and settled after the vacuum dissipated.

"No luck, I'm guessing?"

She shook her head, defeated.

"You already know where she is, though, don't you? Deep down, you know."
He stated the last part, and Visena sighed, walking past him and sitting on the corner of his California king.

"I think she's with the Malum Pack. Do you know if they have a prison or something..."

Gideon nodded, sitting at a walnut desk. "I've had to go there a few times, and yes, I know where their cells are."

Visena looked into his eyes hopefully. "Can we go now then?"

"We can't just enter their territory and take a prisoner, Visena. We need to plan. You could use more training and rest."

Visena raised her brows. "I need more training?"

"You can never be too prepared."

"What if she dies, or maybe she's already dead!" Her voice wobbled, and she felt sad, but no tears would come. Fuck sakes. She thought miserably, throwing her head back on the insanely soft mattress.

"You would've felt it."

Visena was about to pull a face when he continued.

"Fae souls or Anima are connected. Like wolves can communicate through the pack link, Fae can feel each other's energy. So you would know if she or any other Fae died."

"Woah. That's intense." His half-smile cheered her up a bit. "Okay, so now what?"

"You can stay here with us. We will keep you safe, although you seem very capable on your own. Once your blood results come back, Kora will let us know, and maybe that could shed some light on your past or missing memories."

Visena nodded along, snuggling deeper into the duvet.

"I'll contact Zeir and see if I can arrange a meeting on neutral ground. If we know why he wants you, maybe we can take this to the council."

Visena was getting bored of the conversation. She didn't mean to, but her gaze just lingered on his cherry lips, and all the words sounded like gibberish. Oh, to kiss those lips

Gideon went quiet, and when Visena came out of her daze, she realised he was smirking at her. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Nope." Visena sighed. Her head was mush, and the bed was calling her. Maybe Gideon could be her bed. Mmm. So warm... and he smelled so good!

A light chuckle warmed her heart as her eyes drifted shut and sleep cast its spell.

...

Gideon watched as Visena's breathing evened out. The rise and fall of her chest hypnotised him. Sleep took her quickly despite looking rather uncomfortable. Her feet remained planted on the hardwood floor while her arms star fished above her head. 

Gideon had to move her. He couldn't let her sleep like that in good conscience. She would get a backache or something, he reasoned. So with controlled breath, Gideon scooped her into his arms, almost groaning when she nuzzled into his neck. The Alpha didn't understand the pull to her or why her lavender and petrichor scent was the most delicious thing he had ever smelled. 

He could devour her.

They couldn't be mates because she was Fae, and every mated pack member described the moment of recognition. It was always instant. Relationships may have moved at different paces, but every wolf recognised their mate straight away.

She wasn't his mate, but he craved her. Despite his inner wolf's complaints, he carried the petite Fae to her room and tucked her into bed.

"Goodnight, Visena." 

~~~~

Nighty night, loves ;)

Sorry for the late update. The days just seem to get away from me! 

Thank you for reading, as always...

Until next time

Byeee xx