Fifty-three | American Alpha

Visena frowned into the forest with her hands balled into fists on her hips. "Jedidiah? I know you can hear me!"

Gideon had gone to find out the ETA on the Alpha leaders after a border wolf had scented at least thirty high ranking wolves on the western breeze. "Come find me when you're done harassing him."

"Harassing? He's your little brother out there!"

"At least he won't be moping. We can organise something to get him back soon... What we really need is his mate..."

Visena was optimistic that he would find his mate soon, she only hoped it happened before the Earth Fae found him in the forest and killed him.

"Jed?" She tried again, voice increasing in volume. "Don't make me use my Alpha command..."

A light whimper sounded from behind a tall oak, and Visena breathed a sigh of relief. "You don't have to shift back. I just wanted to tell you to be careful. Earth Fae are hiding in Malum woods and they would have no qualms in killing you. I understand why you did it, please just stay close and if you need food I'll leave something out over here." Her feet scuffed the earth and made a small X shape. "And you can sleep in your bed if you want... I'll leave the back door open!"

Jed's chocolate wolf rounded the tree, stared into Visena's eyes before nodding and running out of sight.

After a brief pause of indecision, the Fae turned on her heel and jogged toward the Packhouse, swallowing the growing panic in her throat. Voices drifted from the dining room as she crossed the threshold.

"- North and South American packs here first. She'll be fine."

"They are notoriously the ones who kill first, ask questions later."

Gideon and Liams voices floated through the entryway and Visena cringed. "Knock knock."

"Come in, Vi."

The men sat at the dining table with Prim and Orion in attendance. Gideon had changed and looked delectable in navy tailored pants and a tucked-in white dress shirt rolled up to his forearms. Good enough to eat.

Her attention faltered on her fiery-haired friend.

She still hadn't talked to Prim since she found out they were moving out.

The house is gonna be so empty...

Visena cleared her throat and pushed the thoughts away with a gentle shake of her head. "So... How long do I have?"

"The border wolf believed they were about twenty minutes out. Five minutes ago," Liam responded with a mocking, tense smile.

Gideon gave him a stern look before smiling at his mate. "You'll be fine. Is there anything you want to know before they arrive?"

Visena had to somehow fit years of questions into fifteen minutes. Despite years of combat training with her father, he had shared little about pack life or her wolfie heritage. She knew about as much as when she was memory-less. "So, what's going to happen? Why are they coming?"

"Word got out somehow," Liam looked pointedly at Prim with a smirk, "The Alpha female of Invictus was the self proclaimed Queen of the Wolves. And now, all the packs want to see if the Witchy 'prophecies' are true, or if they should just kill you."

Liam as usual did little to alleviate her worries.

"I never self proclaimed anything. You all called me your Queen... Not me!"

Prim jumped in, bumping Liam with her shoulder. "You are our Queen Visena. There's no doubt about it. I knew there was something special about you when we first met in the forest." Prim's smile was radiant. She was practically glowing from the pregnancy hormones. She smelled nice, too. Rhubarb and custard. "Right guys?" She peered around the table, and the men all quickly added their confirmations.