Thirty-two | Peach

"Hello?" Visena questioned again tentatively.

"Visena?" The voice on the other end of the call sounded exhausted. Hollow.

"Yeah, it's me, Gideon. Are you okay?" Her voice wobbled along with her bottom lip.

"Why are you asking me if I'm okay? Are you okay? Visena... How did you even get this number? Where are you?" Gideon became more awake with each question.

"I've been all over the place. I'm in the Vampire Council's penthouse right now, I think. Mihnea Rău."

Gideon's sharp intake of breath made her pause.

"He's not here with me. But he's trying to help me out of here, I think. He's in a meeting with the other Council members, but they need proof of Zeir's plans before they can do anything."

"Why would he help you?" Gideon's voice held both curiosity and concern. It obviously wasn't common for Vampires and Wolves to work together—especially the leader of the Vampires.

"I don't know. The Witch Council said something about a prophecy. Did Calypso do something? They didn't like me mentioning her and-" 

"Visena, my love, breathe. I'm here. I'll be here until you have to go, okay?"

Nodding to the empty room, Visena replied breathily, "Okay."

"Do you have any other news?"

The Fae wiped a shaky hand across her brow and started pacing the tiled floors letting her feet soak in their warmth. "Oh yeah, I think Zeir is waiting for the Blue moon to try the forced bond again. I don't know where, but Yrsa said I would be 'taken care of' then. Mihnea said he would follow us to get proof, and then we could kill Zeir and his witch. Legally I guess." 

That was all, right?

Gideon was silent for a few moments. 

"Are you still there?" Visena couldn't bear for him to go yet. She thought she had been coping pretty well, sleeping alone in her concrete box and getting pulled in all directions by the most influential leaders of the Supernatural World. However, after hearing his sweet timbre, the ache in her chest returned with a vengeance, seemingly offended by their distance. Hina, please just chill!  

His soft breathing caressed her ears before his words did. "I'm still here, love." She could almost hear his brain ticking away through the phone. "The pack's been training hard and working alongside Praelia, and we've even had a few Malum defectors pledge to us. Whatever Zeir is doing is alienating his pack."

That news didn't surprise her. She had hoped the Malum wolves would escape after feeling the bond between them. They were in Zeir's pack, but they weren't mindless puppets.

 "Cal has been working on the Witch Council, but they're resistant, and they don't make it easy on her either. After their last conversation about their Witch Bible thing, they stopped replying. I'm assuming that's after your meeting about the prophecy. Their main issue is they don't like the wolves, and they don't like change, and whatever comes from this could change everything."

"I'm sorry, Gideon. It's all my fault." With a hollow feeling in her chest, Visena realised her dreams of escape depended entirely on a stranger. And a Vampire at that. 

"Don't, my love. Just find a way to get back to me. I have eyes on Zeir here. If he makes a move, we will know Vi. I'll find you."

"I know." The mate bond ached between them. His words of promise added fuel to the burning heat in her heart. "What about the other packs? Have you contacted any of them?"