3

The next day Charlotte came to talk to him in private and soon enough the topic was one Mr. Horan. Lottie smiled.
"He is just what a young man ought to be, sensible, good-humored, lively, and I never saw such happy manners!"

"He is also very handsome." Louis winked.

Lottie giggled.
"He sure is. I was so flattered that he asked me to dance so many times. I did not expect such a compliment."

"Did not you? I did for you. But that is one great difference between us. Compliments always take you by surprise, and me never. What could be more natural than his asking you again? He likes you and you my dear sister have liked many a stupider person." Louis teased.

"Louis!" Lottie gasped.

"Oh! you are a great deal too apt, you know, to like people in general. You never see a fault in anybody. All the world are good and agreeable in your eyes. I never heard you speak ill of a human being in your life." Louis replied fondly.

"Well, that's what I have you for dear brother." Lottie smirked.

"Speaking of..." Louis said and told her about the conversation he had listened in on between Mr. Horan and Mr. Styles, making sure to include all the delightful things Niall had said about her.

Lottie blushed but laughed at the ridiculousness of Mr. Styles.
"That despicable man. He would be lucky to have someone like you by his side. How can Niall enjoy his company? Never have two people been more different. What's up with that pride?" Lottie said upset.

"I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." Louis replied with a smile.

Lottie hugged him and the discussion was over with for now. Later that day Mr. Horan came for a visit and he had Mr. Styles with him. Since Charlotte was naturally shy and Louis would do anything for his sister he joined them, even if that meant that he had to be accompanied by Mr. Styles. Niall immediately indulged in conversation and Louis decided the ignore the grumpy man beside him and helped them conversate. He could feel Harry's eyes on him the whole time but he refused to look at him. He wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

Two days later they were invited to a dinner party at Sir Stanley Lucas. Louis escorted his family to the event. He immediately greeted his friend.
"Stan, how are you? Thanks for having us over."

"The Tomlinsons are always a fair sight to behold. Welcome." Stan smiled and hugged them all.

A voice made Louis look to his left and his mood changed instantly when a pair of green eyes met his. He withheld a deep sigh and smiled instead when Mr. Horan hurried over to greet them and with him the snarky Mr. Styles followed.
"Charlotte! Imagine finding you here. How wonderful!" Niall worded enthusiastically and Louis noticed his sister's blushed cheeks.

Mr. Styles offered them a half-hearted greeting while Mr. Horan made sure to make the rounds and personally greet them all. The butler announced that dinner was served and they sat down to dine. Louis had Lottie on his left and his mother on his right. Across the table Mr. Horan and Mr. Styles were seated. Louis indulged in a cheerful conversation with Mr. Horan comparing the nature in the north of England with the one he had seen on his travels to Ireland. Mr. Styles listened to the conversation but kept quiet. Louis wouldn't have that.
"How about you, Mr. Styles? Would you like to honor us with your thoughts about the subject in question?" He asked with a humorous edge to his voice.

Mr. Styles stared at him extensively before he opened his mouth to reply.
"Oh, I think you've said everything that could be said about the matter. I may add that even though Ireland is beautiful the north of England has my heart."

Louis bit his tongue so he wouldn't make a remark about his stone-cold heart. He nodded his head instead before he turned to his mother.

When everyone had eaten they retrieved to the saloon for tea. Phoebe and Daisy came running up to Louis and tried to drag him toward the piano.
"You have to sing a song for us!"

"Please no. You always want me to play and sing before anybody and everybody!" Louis protested.

Stan insisted and Fizzy had already taken a seat behind the piano. Louis shook his head but obliged. He loved to sing even if he preferred to do it in the present of his own company. He looked over at the crowd, eyes lingering a little too long at a certain tall, handsome man.
"This is called A copy of a copy of a copy."

Fizzy smiled and began to play. Louis took a deep breath before he started to sing.

It's an old curse, dreamers divin' head first
Broken beaks and dead birds
Can't get through the glass
There's no use cryin' over spilled blood
Carin' only kills love
A kiss won't bring it back

I know that the first blow hits you cold

Young man, hush your crying, dry your tears away
Nothing is original, there's nothing left to say
You won't be the first or be the last to bleed
Every broken heart as far as your eye can see
It's a copy of a copy of a copy

I can hear you, howlin' 'til your lungs hurt
So let this be your comfort
You're not the only one, no
In a strange way, all in this together
Been this way forever, you're not the only one

I know that the first blow hits you cold

Young man, hush your crying, dry your tears away
Nothing is original, there's nothing left to say
You won't be the first or be the last to bleed
Every broken heart as far as your eye can see
It's a copy of a copy of a copy

Young man, hush your crying, dry your tears away
Nothing is original, there's nothing left to say
You won't be the first or be the last to bleed
Every broken heart as far as your eye can see
It's a copy of a copy of a copy

When the song ended everyone clapped their hands and cheered, well, Mr. Styles at least clapped. Louis smiled brightly and took a bow.