13

Two days later Lottie received a letter from Mr. Horan with the news that he was returning to Netherfield. She smiled happily.

Mr. Horan arrived the next day but he was not alone. Louis' heart beat fast when he saw Mr. Styles riding next to him. He tried to look busy as the two gentlemen entered the house. He had ventured only one glance at Styles. He looked serious, as usual. Why had he come? He had refused him once. Louis couldn't be foolish enough to expect a renewal of his love.

Mr. Horan seemed happy to see his sister and suggested that they would go for a walk. Lottie asked Louis to go with them, probably so she could have some time alone with Mr. Horan while Louis entertained Mr. Styles. Since he hadn't shared his thoughts with his sister Louis had to comply. She had no idea the situation she was putting him in.

Louis walked behind them, trying to give them some privacy. Mr. Styles seemed to have similar thoughts since he held back as well. Soon enough Lottie and Niall were walking far ahead of them. Louis glanced at the man beside him.
"How is your sister?"

Harry immediately smiled from the mentioning of his sister.
"Very well."

They continued to walk side by side in silence. Louis couldn't take one more step without acknowledging what Phoebe had disclosed.
Mr. Styles, I am a very selfish creature; and, for the sake of giving relief to my own feelings, care not how much I may be wounding yours. I can no longer help thanking you for your unexampled kindness to my poor sister. Ever since I have known it, I have been most anxious to acknowledge to you how gratefully I feel it. Were it known to the rest of my family, I should not have merely my own gratitude to express."

Harry seemed surprised and uncomfortable.
"If you will thank me, let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you."

Louis blushed and couldn't find the words. Harry stopped. He seemed to hesitate before he spoke again.
"If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever."

"Harry, my feelings are not the same as last April, quite the opposite actually. Since then I have discovered what a wonderful man you are and I hold you very dear to my heart." Louis replied nervously.

The smile on Harry's face was breathtaking. He took a step closer.
"You love me?"

"With my whole being." Louis replied honestly.

Harry cupped his cheek and leaned down to capture his lips.
"It took you long enough."

Louis gasped when their lips met. He had never experienced a kiss like that. They were interrupted by Mr. Horan.
"Finally you two came to your senses."

They broke free to find Niall and Lottie next to them, hand in hand.
"It seems to me like we're not the only ones." Louis commented and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm happy to inform you that Charlotte confirmed the same sort of feeling after I confessed mine." Niall grinned.

"Congratulations." Harry smiled.

"I'm so happy for both of you." Louis added.

"This call for a celebration!" Niall said and they returned to the house to share the news with the Tomlinson family.

Lottie took her brother to the side.
"I must say I am surprised. I thought you hated Mr. Styles. What changed?"

"It has been coming on so gradually, that I hardly know when it began. But I believe I must date it from my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley." Louis joked.

"Oh, Louis. Don't joke when it comes to the matter of the heart. Will he make you happy?" Lottie questioned.

"The happiest man alive." Louis smiled.

"For you will be as happy as myself. I always had a value for him. Were it for nothing but his love of you, I must always have esteemed him; but now, as Niall's friend and your partner, there can be only Niall and yourself more dear to me. But Louis, you have been very sly, very reserved with me." Lottie said.

"And for that, I apologize." Louis smiled.

Jay was surprised but welcomed them to the family with open arms. After a lovely celebration dinner, Louis brought Harry to the library for some privacy.
"I'm curious. How and when did you fall in love with me?"

Harry let out a surprised laugh but he replied honestly.
"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."

"My behavior to you was at least always bordering on the uncivil, and I never spoke to you without rather wishing to give you pain than not. Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?" Louis asked, feeling ashamed over his previous behavior.

"For the liveliness of your mind, I did." Harry smiled.

Louis kissed him.

Niall and Harry stayed at Netherfield for some time and when Harry had to return to Pemberley Louis went with him. They got married shortly thereafter, making it a double wedding with Niall and Lottie, who moved close by. Jay was happy for her children even if she missed them dearly.
The couples made sure to spend months at Netherfield each year to stay close to the family.

Louis had been right. Harry made him the happiest man alive.

The End