11

As he had predicted Mr. Horan came for a visit the next day. He seemed nervous as he entered the living room.
"Miss Tomlinson, how wonderful to see you. My apologies for not visiting you sooner."

"Apology accepted." Lottie smiled.

Louis decided to give them some privacy and went out for a walk. After receiving Mr. Styles' letter he was confused. Maybe he had been too judgemental regarding Mr. Styles' character? Maybe he for once had been wrong? If so, who was Mr. Styles behind that proud surface? He grew absolutely ashamed of himself. Of neither Styles nor Wickham could he think without feeling he had been blind, partial, prejudiced, absurd.

When he returned to the house Mr. Horan had departed. Lottie's cheeks were rosy.
"Niall invited both of us to a ball on Saturday. You must come, Louis."

The prospect of seeing Mr. Styles worried him but being there for his sister overshadowed his feeling of shame.
"Certainly."

Saturday arrived faster than he would have liked but he put on his tuxedo and accompanied his sister, aunt, and uncle to the ball. Having had a couple of days to process what had been revealed to him his knew that he had to apologize for his behavior. He just hoped that Mr. Styles would be gracious enough to accept his apology.

Mr. Styles was the first person he ran into and the man didn't seem pleased to see him. He bowed and was about to leave wordlessly when Louis interrupted him.
"Excuse me, Mr. Styles? May I have a word in private?"

Harry looked uneasy but he was too polite to decline and lead him to the quiet library.
"Yes?"

Louis took a deep breath.
"I need to give you my most sincere apology for the way I spoke to you last time we met. It was uncalled for and I'm deeply ashamed."

Harry stared at him before he finally spoke up.
"Apology accepted."

"I'm usually less judgemental but Mr. Wickham'ss story sounded very convincing." Louis continued.

"Mr. Wickham is a very charming man." Harry commented.

"Charm can be deceiving which was my initial feeling when we first met." Louis replied with blushed cheeks.

"Pardon me for asking, but does this mean that you believe what I wrote in my letter?" Harry asked.

"Without a doubt. You have spoken very fondly of your sister in the past and I have no reason to question the event that you were kind enough to share with me. May I reassure you that I won't speak about what you have confided in me and I'm utterly relieved that your sister was rescued before such horrible act could occur." Louis said with passion.

"Thank you. Would it be too much to ask to introduce you to my sister since I've been fortunate enough to be able to persuade her to join me tonight?" Harry said.

"It would be an absolute honor, Mr. Styles." Louis smiled.

They united with the others and Harry introduced him to a woman who looked much like him.
"Miss. Styles? It's a pleasure to meet you. Your brother speaks very highly of you." Louis greeted.

"Mr. Tomlinson I presume? Then we have something in common since my brother speaks very highly of you as well, especially your blue eyes." Gemma smiled.

"Gemma!" Harry gasped and looked absolutely mortified which made Louis burst out in a fit of giggles.

He continued to conversate with Harry's sister who he instantly loved. She was full of humor and she was very outspoken. She reminded him of Mr. Horan actually and he was astounded about the fact that Mr. Styles surrounded himself with people so different to himself.

He glanced at the dance floor and saw his sister dancing with Mr. Horan which made him smile.
"Harry, where's your manner? Ask Mr. Tomlinson to dance." Gemma said teasingly.

Louis looked at both of them. Harry seemed amused.
"Certainly. Mr. Tomlinson, will you do me the honor?"

Louis nodded his head in agreement and they entered the dancefloor. Harry made conversation and Louis was astonished that he seemed to hold no grudge. He discovered a whole new side to the handsome man. Harry didn't have his hard up and he was more charming than ever. One dance turned to two and Louis had the best night in ages. He no longer disliked Harry, to the contrary, he had a newfound respect for the man in question and that confused him. He had been certain that he had seen the last of Mr. Styles after he rejected him so harshly. Instead, Harry showed him forgiveness at that alone deserved respect.

When they return to their aunt and uncle Lottie is tired but happy and so is Louis. Harry's sister has ended the night by inviting him over for dinner and Harry had immediately agreed. Louis had accepted the invitation.

That was how he found himself knocking at the resident Harry and Gemma were staying in the next day. Once again he was amazed by this whole new Harry he was seeing. It was like he had broken down his walls and let him inside, giving him the absolute fortune to see the man behind the proud mask. Mr. Styles was nothing but kind. He was humorous and charming and Louis was absolutely defenseless finding himself swooping over a man he so recently despised. He wouldn't call it love. More like a newfound appreciation over a man he so gravely misjudged. He was certain that whatever feeling Harry once had towards him was now long going after the way he had treated him. He was thankful that Harry was gracious enough to offer him friendship.