10

He had been too shocked to talk to Lottie about what happened and blamed his quiet demeanor on a headache. When he woke up the next morning to the same thoughts. He had yet not recovered from the surprise of Mr. Styles' sudden and unexpected love declaration. He couldn't understand how and when Mr. Styles had developed such feelings since his action had given no indication of such a thing. He decided that some fresh air would do him good and declined his sister's company even though he could sense her worrying about him. He needed to clear his has before he told her about what happened yesterday.

He walked for an hour before he returned to the house. He couldn't believe his eyes when the same man that confused him yesterday was waiting for him by the door. He hesitated before he approached him. Harry handed him a letter.
Will you do me the honor of reading that letter?"

Louis nodded his head and Harry walked away without looking back. Louis got seated on the stairs, wanting some privacy. He opened the letter with his heart beating fast. He had no idea what to expect when he began to read.

Be not alarmed, on receiving this letter, by the apprehension of its containing any repetition of those sentiments which were last night so disgusting to you. You must, therefore, pardon the freedom with which I demand your attention; your feelings, I know, will bestow it unwillingly, but I demand it of your justice.

Two offenses of a very different nature, and by no means of equal magnitude, you last night laid to my charge. The first mentioned was, that, regardless of the sentiments of either, I had detached Mr. Horan from your sister, and the other, that I had, in defiance of various claims, in defiance of honor and humanity, ruined the immediate prosperity and blasted the prospects of Mr. Wickham.

Regarding your sister I can only say that I am sorry. Watching her interact with Mr. Horan I was convinced that she felt no deeper feelings towards my friend, and even though she received his attentions with pleasure, she did not invite them by any participation of sentiment. If you have not been mistaken here, I must have been in error. Your superior knowledge of your sister must make the latter probable. If it be so, if I have been misled by such error to inflict pain on her, your resentment has not been unreasonable.

I have not concealed that your sister is currently in London but I promise that I will inform Mr. Horan today with an apology for being mistaken regarding her feelings towards him.

With respect to that other, more weighty accusation, of having injured Mr. Wickham, I can only refute it by laying before you the whole of his connection with my family.

Mr. Wickham is the son of a very respectable man, who had for many years the management of all the Pemberley estates, and whose good conduct in the discharge of his trust naturally inclined my father to be of service to him; and on George Wickham, who was his godson.

My father was not only fond of this young man's society, whose manners were always engaging; he had also the highest opinion of him, and hoping the church would be his profession, intended to provide for him in it. My excellent father died about five years ago; and his attachment to Mr. Wickham was to the last so steady, that in his will he particularly recommended it to me, to promote his advancement in the best manner that his profession might allow.

Mr. Wickham informed me that he had no intention to be a man of church but instead he wanted to study law. I paid for his education. Soon he informed me that he had found the law a most unprofitable study, and I yet again gave him money to pursue a different career.

I must now mention a circumstance which I would wish to forget myself, and which no obligation less than the present should induce me to unfold to any human being. Having said thus much, I feel no doubt of your secrecy.

It came to my attention that Mr. Wickham had tried to force himself on my beloved sister Gemma. Thankfully someone heard her scream and came to her rescue before he could succeed. Mr. Wickham fled the scene. The regard for my sister's credit and feelings prevented any public exposure.

You may possibly wonder why all this was not told you last night; but I was not then master enough of myself to know what could or ought to be revealed.

With that said I feel like I have been able to defend my actions and I promise to not bother you again.

God bless you.
Harry Styles

Louis ran inside to speak to his sister. He didn't reveal what Harry had told him in confidence regarding his sister, only that Mr. Wickham deserved his treatment and he had wronged Mr. Styles and his sister deeply. Lottie was concerned.

He then proceeded to tell her about Mr. Horan and Harry's promise to talk to him. Lottie smiled happily and Louis could see the hope in her eyes and he was glad. He then told her about Mr. Styles' unexpected declaration of love the other day and Lottie was as surprised as he had been. She squealed.
"I can't believe it! How can I have not seen this? There must have been signs of his affection."

"I'm as surprised as you are." Louis replied.

"Do you think he's telling the truth regarding Mr. Wickham?" Lottie wondered.

"Yes. Mr. Styles is an honest man and he's very fond of his sister. I cannot imagine he would fabricate such a story." Louis replied without hesitation.

"I agree." Lottie said.

"I also expect that you will hear from Mr. Horan soon enough." Louis smiled.

"Don't get my hopes up." Lottie sighed and he hugged her for comfort.