8

The next day Louis, Lottie, Fizzy, Phoebe, and Daisy walked into town to inquire about Mr. Wickham's absence from the ball. They crossed road with him halfway into town and he accompanied them. Soon enough he began to speak about his reasons to disregard the ball at Netherfield.
"I found, as the time drew near that I had better not meet Mr. Styles. That to be in the same room, the same party with him for so many hours together, might be more than I could bear, and that scenes might arise unpleasant to more than myself."

Louis listened but didn't respond. Soon they were talking about something else. When they returned home a letter was waiting for Lottie. She opened it and Louis watched her smile fade and her face getting pale. Lottie left and he went after her and four her in her room.
"Mr. Horan has left with no intention of ever returning."

"So sudden? Why?" Louis asked, utterly surprised.

"He writes that he has to go to London. Mr. Styles is traveling with him. Then he just say that it has been a pleasure to get to know me. I thought... I don't know why. This confuses me." Lottie replied, close to tears.

"You ought to believe me. No one who has ever seen you together can doubt his affection. It has been too long since we've been to London. May a suggest a visit to our dear aunt?" Louis winked.

"Wouldn't that make me seem desperate?" Lottie hesitated.

"Nonsense. I'll make the arrangements." Louis smiled.

He went to talk to their mother who immediately agreed and sat down to write a letter to her sister, informing her that her two oldest would come for a visit. Louis and Lottie packed their bags and left the next morning. Two days later they arrived and their aunt welcomed them with open arms.
"How lovely to see you."

Louis and Lottie hugged their aunt.
"Let's get you settled. I hope you don't mind going on a trip for the day to the countryside tomorrow. We have planned it for some time and my sister's letter came as a surprise, but I assure you it's absolutely wonderful to have you visit." She said as she showed them to their accommodation.

"A country trip sounds lovely, aunt." Lottie smiled.

"It's settled then." Their aunt said.

They spent the evening catching up before they went to bed early, exhausted after their travel. They got up early to get ready for their trip to the countryside. Lottie suffered from a terrible migraine and after a discussion, she decided to stay home. Louis wanted to keep her company but she assured him that she wouldn't be much fun to be around and after a moment of hesitation, Louis agreed to accompany their aunt and uncle.
"So where are we going?" Louis asked as they took a seat in the carriage.

"We're visiting the town where I grew up, the wonderful Lambton." His uncle said.

Louis furrowed his eyebrows.
"Isn't Pemberley located outside Lambton?"

"Oh yes! A remarkable place. We should definitely pay a visit there as well." His uncle smiled.

"Oh no. I couldn't possibly disturb the owners' privacy." Louis immediately rejected.

"Mr. Styles is currently in London as I've been told. The mansion is empty. I'm sure the staff would love to give us a quick tour." His uncle declared.

Louis bit his lip. He was curious to see the infamous Pemberley that he heard so much about.
"In that case, I would love to see it."

"Marvelous!" His aunt said and it was settled.

A couple of hours later they arrived in Lambton and his uncle was very excited to show them around. They ate lunch at a restaurant before they returned to the carriage to take a ride to Pemberley. Louis was feeling nervous but when a butler assured them that they were more than welcome to look around. The view was spectacular. The mansion looked more like a castle and the outdoors were amazing. Louis decided to go for a walk to the lake he could see from afar. He let out a surprised gasp when he ran into no other than Mr. Styles himself, who seemed as surprised as he.
"Louis? Ehm, I mean, Mr. Tomlinson, what owes me the pleasure of your company?"

Louis blushed in embarrassment.
"Mr. Styles, I'm so sorry for trespassing. I was told that you were in London."

"I just arrived back home." Mr. Styles informed him awkwardly.

"I will immediately inform my aunt and uncle. My uncle grew up in the neighborhood and suggested we would come here. If I would have known your presence I would obviously have diverted it." Louis said hurriedly.

Harry dragged a hand through his hair. Louis noticed that he looked less proper than usual. His shirt was wrinkly and his hair was messy and curly.
"Nonsense. You're here and I would be delighted to be introduced to your aunt and uncle."

Harry led his horse and walked next to Louis toward the mansion.
"How very suddenly you all quitted Netherfield. I hope Mr. Horan is doing well?" Louis asked.

"Perfectly so, I thank you." Harry replied.

"My sister happens to be in London for the moment. She will be delighted to hear so." Louis said.

Harry clenched his jaw.
"I'm afraid that Mr. Horan is very busy."

"Oh, I'm sure he can make some time to see my sister. I believe that he's very fond of my sister." Louis smiled.

"I have no intention to offend you, Mr. Tomlinson, that may be, but I saw no indication that your sister replicated those feelings. I was the one who encouraged Mr. Horan to leave Netherfield in an effort to protect that poor man's heart." Harry replied.

Louis gasped. He was furious.
"For the sake of my sister I'm deeply offended. How dare you intertwine in their chance of happiness, of love? No indication? What on earth are you talking about?"

"I observed your sister. This may sound harsh but I pride my honesty. Charlotte seemed to love the attention more than my dear friend. She hardly spoke to him, she was whimsy and I'm sorry to say, shallow. I cannot see her being a good candidate for Mr. Horan. I spoke my opinion and he listened, something I feel no shame about." Harry worded.

"Apparently you're impossible at judging someone's character. The picture you have paints regarding my sister couldn't be more wrong. How is that something to be proud of?" Louis questioned.

They had reached the estate and Harry had no time to respond since Louis' aunt and uncle approached them. Louis hid his anger. Despicable man!