6

Mr. Horan arrived the next day to ask about Lottie's health and to accept the invitation to dinner. As always Mr. Styles was with him, quiet and stoic as usual. While Niall and Lottie took a stroll in the garden it became Louis' duty to entertain Mr. Styles. His despise for the proud man was hard to conceal but he tried his best for Lottie's sake.
"Do you miss your home, Mr. Styles?"

Mr. Styles took his time answering.
"Even if Pemberley is a wonderful place I wouldn't consider it a home."

"Why is that?" Louis asked curiously.

Mr. Styles glanced at him.
"Home is more of a feeling rather than a place."

"Huh." Louis replied fairly unintelligent. He wasn't prepared for such a deep and honest answer.

He could see that Harry tried to hide a smile. They continued to converse while they walked around the garden. Charlotte's giggles and Niall's laughter rang in the ears.

Phoebe came outside to declare that dinner was served and they returned to join the others.
"So, Mr. Styles, is Pemberley as beautiful as I have been told?" Jay asked.

"I guess that's in the eye of the beholder but you're more than welcome to find out yourself." Harry replied.

"I might take you up on that offer someday." Jay smiled.

"I would be delightful to give you a tour, and your family of course." Harry said.

"How long are you planning on staying in this part of England?" Fizzy asked.

"Oh, we're in no hurry to get back, right Harry?" Niall immediately replied.

"Right." Harry agreed but he seemed to hesitate.

Dinner continued and Louis had never seen Harry as relaxed as he was right now. He even smiled a couple of times towards Louis' youngest sibling. Doris and Ernest seemed to charm him completely. Louis reflected over how his usually stern face softened and how different he looked when he smiled. He had dimples in both cheeks and if he hadn't been so difficult otherwise Louis would have cooed internally. He would be telling an untruth if he alleged that Harry wasn't a beautiful man because he sure was. Anyone could see that.

They had their tea in the living room after dinner and Louis challenged Mr. Styles in a game of chess. He was a worthy component. The rest of the company watched with interest as they fought fairly. Louis was unsure if Mr. Styles could handle a loss and made a wrong move on purpose. Mr. Styles wrinkled his eyebrows.
"If I'm not mistaken you're letting me win Mr. Tomlinson because I can't see why you would move your queen in that direction when you could win by moving your horse instead. Don't insult me."

"My apologies. Do you want me to retake that?" Louis said.

"Yes." Harry replied.

Louis put his queen back and moved his horse instead.
"Check."

Harry stared at the board for a good five minutes before he finally made his move, diverting a loss. Louis was impressed. He was intelligent. Five minutes later Louis had won anyhow.
"Congratulations. Thank you for a good match." Harry said.

"It was entertaining." Louis smiled.

It was getting late so Harry and Niall thanked Jay for the lovely dinner before they returned to Netherfield. When Louis was laying in bed his mind wandered and he thought about Mr. Styles. What an odd man. Maybe there was something underneath that stern surface after all? He still despised him but he was a little intrigued. He could usually read people like an open book. Mr. Styles confused him.

The next day they received an invitation from Mr. Lucas to join him for lunch. They weren't the only ones. Mr. Lucas had also invited Mr. Malik, Mr. Payne, and Mr. Wickham from the regiment. Phoebe immediately sparked a conversation with the handsome soldiers, with a special eye towards Mr. Wickham. Louis dismissed it as a teenage crush and let her be.

Mr. Wickham was the happy man towards whom almost every female eye was turned. Even though Louis could see the appeal he preferred the company of Mr. Payne and Mr. Zayn who were low-key but far more interesting to hold a conversation with. Louis suspected that in the case of Mr. Wickham's charming manners that was all that it was, there wasn't much substance there. But to his surprise, he later found out that they had something in common, or rather their dislike of a certain someone.

"Pardon me for my bluntness Mr. Tomlinson but your lively sister informed me earlier that Mr. Styles is currently situated at Netherfield with Mr. Horan. Is that correct?" Mr. Wickham asked as he approached him.

"That's correct." Louis confirmed.

"How long have Mr. Styles been staying there?" Mr. Wickham asked.

"Less than a month." Louis informed him. Curiosity took over and he continued the conversation. "He is a man of very large property in Derbyshire, I understand."

"Yes," replied Mr. Wickham; "his estate there is a noble one. A clear ten thousand per annum. You could not have met with a person more capable of giving you certain information on that head than myself, for I have been connected with his family in a particular manner from my infancy."

That took Louis by surprise. He had a hard time seeing Mr. Wickham as someone Mr. Styles would befriend.
"Are you much acquainted with Mr. Styles?" Mr. Wickham asked.

"As much as I ever wish to be. I find him very disagreeable." Louis replied dryly.

"I don't think many people would agree on that description of Mr. Styles except myself." Mr. Wickham smiled.

"He is not at all liked in Hertfordshire. Everybody is disgusted with his pride. You will not find him more favorably spoken of by anyone." Louis replied.

"His father, the late Mr. Styles, was one of the best men that ever breathed and the truest friend I ever had. Because of that, I won't speak ill of his son, even though he wronged me." Mr. Wickham revealed.

Louis was beyond curious now. He didn't want to ask but Mr. Wickham wasn't done talking.
"The late Mr. Styles was my godfather and had promised to fund my education as a priest but when he passed Mr. Styles chose to doubt it-or to treat it as a merely conditional recommendation, and that's why I have found myself making a military career instead since I lost my temper and spoke my opinion of him."

"This is quite shocking!" Louis gasped.

"For respect of his father, I will never expose Mr. Styles for his wrongful doing." Mr. Wickham smiled sadly.

"But what can have been his motive? What can have induced him to behave so cruelly?" Louis wondered.

"A thorough, determined dislike of me, a dislike which I cannot but attribute in some measure to jealousy." Mr. Wickham said.

"I had not thought Mr. Styles so bad as this, though I have never liked him." Louis replied thoughtfully.

"I'm sorry if my words have made you upset." Mr. Wickham said.

"Don't worry about that." Louis answered with a smile before he continued. "I am astonished at his close friendship with Mr. Horan, who is a wonderful man. How can they suit each other? He cannot know what Mr. Styles is."

"Probably not, but Mr. Styles can please where he chooses." Mr. Wickham replied.

Phoebe came and interrupted their conversation by asking Mr. Wickham to play cricket with them. Louis suddenly had a lot to think about.