9 - I don't wanna live forever

"Been sitting, eyes wide open behind these four walls, hoping you'd call." I don't wanna live forever by Zayn Malik and Taylor swift.

" I don't wanna live forever by Zayn Malik and Taylor swift

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013

7:20 PM

I was lying in bed with my leg propped up on a tower of pillows, sandwiched between a pile of heavenly junk. With a large Oreo milkshake, a porcupine stuffed animal, an ice pack, and boxes of Chinese takeout on my right. And a fluffy, jiggly, Japanese cheesecake, a bouquet, a bottle of Advil, and a pair of ginormous balloons that had get well soon written on them on my left. I was basically bathing with sugar, spice, and everything nice.

To other people, it was probably just another Wednesday evening, very hump day-Esque, very uneventful. But to me, it was anything but. Hence the Advil bottle, the ice pack, and the hospital balloons I was snuggling with.

You're probably wondering how I got into that situation. Well, long story short, clumsiest person to have ever graced the world runs down the stairs, misses one, goes downhill, bed rest. Long story shorter, I sprained my ankle.

See, I had been trying to lose some weight. Three pounds per week, to be exact. Ever since I caught that stomach bug, I had lost 10 whole pounds. Granted that it was a really gross experience and very unintentional, standing on the scale and seeing 130 instead of the usual 140 had somehow motivated me to keep going. At least, until that 130 was replaced with 120.

I had posted on Reddit asking people what I should do to lose a few more pounds and they had suggested that I diet and exercise. And that was what I had been doing for the past few weeks. Well, kind of. I had been doing the intermittent fasting thing instead of dieting and ditching the elevator for the stairs instead of exercising. I also tried to walk to and from work, but it just wasn't feasible.

I had sprained my ankle while walking down the stairs that morning. I was running down the stairs on my way to campus when I missed a step and lost control over my body. I slid down the stairs and landed on my side, twisting my left ankle in the process. It was so painful; I had to just lay there and breathe in and out to get back to reality for a few minutes before I could call anyone.

A sensible person would call their emergency contact when they found themselves in such a compromising situation. An even more reasonable person would dial 911 and ask for help. But me being me, neither sensible nor reasonable, I dialed the number of a certain someone that lived >2000 miles away from me.

Perhaps calling Noah wasn't a dazzling idea, since I couldn't even breathe out a word when he answered the phone. In fact, as soon as I heard his voice, I started crying - wailing like a newborn trying to show off its healthy lungs.

But Noah's quick thinking had ultimately ended up saving my life. Okay legs, potato, potato. He had called Rosie on his work phone and asked her to look for me while he stayed on the line with me.