16 - What now?

"I found the one. He changed my life.
But was it me that changed and he just happened to come at the right time I'm supposed to be in love? But I'm numb again." What now by Rihanna.

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014

10:24 PM

"Those curls are beautiful."

I hummed as I let the scalding hot iron bully my curls into submission. Passing a finger through my hair, I sectioned out a thin layer and ran a comb through it. I picked up the straightening iron from the counter and watched it clamp over the lock of hair and move down the length of it, taming it in its wake. I did that repeatedly until all the hair in my head fell over my face, framing it perfectly.

"I love your freckles." He traced my skin with his finger. "They're clearer and browner and beautifuler in real life."

I hummed as I applied a generous amount of concealer over my freckles and gently patted it with the pad of my fingers. Smearing liquid makeup all over my skin, I dabbed along, blending it using my stipple brush. My freckles were nowhere to be found, effectively concealed by a thick layer of makeup.

Our lips were like trained ballerinas, dancing in sync with so much elegance.

I hummed as I picked up a red lip liner from my makeup bag and drew a subtle line over the shape of my lips. Spreading a cherry lip gloss on the middle of my bottom lip, I tucked it under my upper lip and rubbed them together. A mirror-like shine glistened my lips, accentuating the rest of my makeup.

"... I love you now and I'll love you the same if you were 40 pounds heavier or lighter..."

I hummed as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My long lashes, heavy for my eyelids, cast a shadow over my hollow cheeks. My rose gold pearl necklace embroidered my neck, its hibiscus-shaped pendant sitting over my breastbone. Angling my head slightly to the side, I ran a finger over my sculpted jaw, all the way to my prominent collarbone. My plump lips stretched in a reminiscent smile as I clutched my necklace—my treasured possession.

My phone lit up with an incoming call from where it sat on the vanity as Rosie's silly face hijacked the screen. I placed my finger over the green icon and glided it to the right. "Rosie girl!" I beamed and tapped the speaker button.

"Robbie, baby!" Rosie's voice came through. "We're at your door." Her voice escalated with every syllable. She was yelling through the loud music booming behind her. I imagined her giving Chris a disapproving look while holding the phone with one hand and covering her ear with the other so she could hear me better.

"Oh," My eyes went wide, "I'll be down in a sec." I gathered my scattered makeup essentials, crammed them into my transparent bag, and walked out of the bathroom.

"Jesus. Would it kill you to turn the fucking volume down when I'm on the phone?" Rosie mumbled before she ended the call.

Wincing at her exasperated tone, I sprayed myself with my new favorite perfume, picked up my clutch from my bed, and tiptoed out of my room. Standing In front of the full-length mirror by the hallway, I gave myself an approving look and slid into my heels.