21 - The one that got away

"In another life, I would make you stay. So, I don't have to say you were the one that got away." The one that got away by Katy Perry.

" The one that got away by Katy Perry

August 31st, 2020

It was a Tuesday morning, and I was in the middle of a well-deserved self-care day. Sitting in a lotus position on a turquoise yoga mat in front of my wide window, I was picturing a coin sitting above my navel, rising and falling with each breath I drew in and out. Keeping the image in my head, I recited my healing mantra out loud.

"I release my past and forgive myself. Everything I need to heal is within me. I surrender my worries to the universe."

Finishing my meditation session, I stretched my body, rolled my matt, tucked it under my arm, and made my way to my bathroom. Having been lathered in a carbonated gray bubble clay mask for ten minutes, my face was rejuvenated and ready to be rinsed.

Ditching the mat in the bathroom cabinet, I stood in front of the sink and turned on the faucet. I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I let the water run over my fingers until it turned lukewarm. My stomach rumbled, reminding me it was time for breakfast.

I washed my face, moisturized, ran a comb through my hair, and went to my kitchen. As I was examining my fridge's contents, my phone vibrated from where it sat on my kitchen counter. Stretching my hand to grab my phone, I paused my scrutiny and glanced at the caller.

An incoming call from an unsaved number greeted me.

Sliding the green icon, "Hello?" I said as I averted my gaze back to the refrigerator.

"Uh, hello? Can I speak to May?"

"This is she." I grabbed the milk and roamed my eyes over the carton, looking for the expiration date.

"May Van de Kamp, you're a hard person to get a hold of." A gruff voice came through.

Best before July 27th. "Uh, may I ask who this is?"

He huffed, more like wheezed, unflatteringly. "It's the other Thompson," there was a chuckle, "Zach Thompson." He clarified when I went silent.

My hand stilled; the milk stayed suspended in the air.

"You there, Van de Kamp?"

"Hi, Zach."

"Hey, Stranger. How are you? Damn, how long has it been since middle school? Ten? Eleven years?"

"Uh, what's up?" I said, refusing to dignify his question with an answer. Slowly placing the milk back in the fridge, I walked back to the couch and sat down, bracing myself for what was to come.

"Wow, you do not sound happy to hear from me." He laughed.

"What gave that away?"

"Ouch!" He feigned shock. "I come with peace, May."