Ch. 10 - New Suit

Steve was called in by SHIELD for a meeting a week and a half later. He was told it wasn't a mission, but other than that he was totally oblivious to what they wanted to discuss with him.

He showed up in his uniform, the one that looked like his USO performance costume, with his shield and drove his Harley to where they'd pick him in a quinjet and fly him to SHIELD headquarters in Washington D.C. It was a complicated journey every time he had to go there, but he made it work because he was more familiar with New York than with D.C. He didn't go on missions that often anyway.

Nick Fury called him into his office and he stood in front of the director of SHIELD, feeling a little ridiculous in the red, white, and blue. His shield was left in the quinjet, in case he needed it.

"Captain," he greeted.

"Sir. I was called in?"

The man looked him up and down with his one eye. "Yeah, that suit's a little too... exposing. Thought we'd get you a new one," he said simply, placing a box on his desk that said, "Stealth Suit". Steve's eyebrows knitted together, moving forward to open the box.

When he did, inside was an all-blue suit with a white star on the chest and white stripes going onto the upper arm. That was all he could see of the suit, but on top, there was a brown leather utility belt, harness, boots, and fingerless gloves.

"You can try it all on when you're back home, but wear that instead of that spangly outfit you got on."

He nodded, closing the box flaps. "Thank you, Sir."

"That'll be all. I gotta meet with Stark pretty soon."

"Tony's here?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

The director hummed, then asked, "Why?"

"I want to ask him something. It's important." To him.

"Alright, well, come with me and take the suit with you."

Steve waited outside the room while Fury and Tony had their "higher clearance" talk. He'd been wanting to talk with Tony for a while, but didn't want to call him. He wanted to ask him a favor.

"All ready for you, Cap," Fury stepped out, leaving the door open.

As Steve walked into the room, which was lab-like and had tons of hightech equipment everywhere. He saw Tony sitting and working on something that looked like a propellor.

"Hey, Spangles. Heard you want to talk to little old me."

"Yeah, I want to ask you a favor," Steve started, setting his box down on a clear space on a table.

"Never thought I'd hear that coming out of you." Tony set down the tools he was working with and rubbed his hands with a cloth. "What's the favor?"

"I know Pepper's the CEO of Stark Industries, but since you're the original owner, I'd like to put in a request for an intern position."

He looked shocked. "You?"

"No, not me. A friend."

Truthfully, he didn't know what to call her. They'd been on a few dates, but he never asked to be her boyfriend. Were they more than friends? What he felt for her was certainly more than friendly, but they hadn't even kissed!

Tony's face morphed into confusion. "Since when did you have friends, Capsicle?"

Exasperated, he ignored the comment. "Just... take a look at her resume. She goes to MIT and has been applying for a while now."

"Oh, so the friend is a she?" he smirked.

He was getting pretty annoyed with Tony razzing him. "Her name's y/n l/n, lives at (address). I assume you can find her based on that?"