Ch. 15 - Jealousy

The following day, after Steve had fallen asleep on her couch and accidentally slept until late in the afternoon, she told him to wait in the living room while she prepared a meal because "cooking helped her think". He hated intruding on her after so long, but again, he had nowhere else to go.

As soon as a wonderful smell was beginning to waft from the kitchen and into the rest of the house, there was a knock at the door. He moved quickly, passing y/n and nodding to her to let her know he had it handled.

His mind was in defense mode, subconsciously reverting back to his days as a soldier and as an Avenger. He hid in a separate room and tuned into his advanced hearing to listen to the conversation that y/n was having with whoever was at the door.

Just in time to catch her greeting the person, "Hey, what're you doing here?"

"Hey." A male voice. "We had plans today, remember?

"That's right." a pause, like she was thinking of an excuse. "I'm really sorry, but today's not a good day. Can we reschedule?"

"Of course. Is there something going on, baby?"

Baby?

"No, no. I just feel a little sick. I don't want to spread it."

"Oh, baby. I think you forgot that I'm a doctor. What're your symptoms?"

It then sounded like the man passed y/n and walked inside. Who was he? Calling her "baby" and coming inside her home when she hadn't directly invited him in. It was impolite.

He heard footsteps and the sound of the door shutting closed. "Just a cough and a couple headaches here and there. It'll be gone in a couple days, I'm sure. I just don't wanna give it to you."

"I smell food, that's good. Soup, I hope? The broth will help your throat."

She hummed, going along with it. How long would he have to hide? "I took some leftover chicken and made chicken noodle soup."

The creak of someone sitting down on her couch. "So who's here?"

"What do you mean? No one's here," she awkwardly chuckled.

Oh God, she'd always been a horrible liar.

"Y/n, there's a guy's shoes by the door that aren't mine. Who're you seeing?"

She sighed. "I'm not seeing anyone. He's an old friend and he needed my help, so he's staying here for awhile."

"Why'd you feel the need to lie to me? You know I'd be okay with a friend staying with you. I trust you."

"It's... hard to explain. I don't want you mixed up in it."

Another creak. The man had gotten up from the couch. "Baby, I want to be a part of your life. That means there should be no secrets between us. Please."

She sighed again and seemed to give in. "Promise you won't freak out or do anything drastic."

"I promise."

Steve supposed that was his cue to come out of his hiding place, so he crept his way back into the living room, where a man's back was turned towards him and y/n was facing him.

She shifted and said, "He's... behind you."

The man turned around and faced him, Steve knew he had a beard now and that he didn't have his uniform on, but he was probably still recognizable up close.

The man had curly chestnut red hair and black glasses. He was shorter and scrawnier than Steve, but still taller than y/n and had a decent build. He was dressed clean– like he was ready for a date– with an expensive-looking watch and shiny black shoes.