Ch. 19 - Wakanda

The quinjet was going to be on autopilot until they got close to Wakanda's borders. Nat and Bruce were catching up privately, Wanda was making sure Vision was alright still, and Rhodey and Sam were talking. Steve took a seat in the back next to y/n.

"This is all so terrifying," she said to him, laying her head on his padded shoulder and curling her arm around his. He put his head on top of hers and took the hand that wasn't on his arm in his leather-covered ones. Terrified was the last thing he wanted her to feel.

He inhaled her familiar scent to calm his own nerves about this inevitable fight. "I'm glad you're here to help us, but I wanted you to stay home where you might be safe."

"If Thanos is going to destroy half the universe, I don't think there's anywhere that anyone could be safe."

The horrible thing was that she was right. No matter what he tried in the face of this threat, he could do nothing to protect her.

"I promise you that I will do everything in my power to make sure you're safe."

They sat in silence for a few minutes until Steve spoke again, "Bucky's in Wakanda."

Her head lifted from his shoulder to look him in the eyes. "I know."

"HYDRA doesn't have control of his mind anymore. The Wakandans removed the programming."

She nodded, a dazed look in her eyes. "Do you think I could meet him? Like officially?"

His eyes widened. "You want to?"

Her eyebrows furrowed as if she was confused on why he was asking. "Of course I do. He's your best friend and a large part of your past. I'd love to meet him."

His heart swelled as he thought of his best girl and his best friend meeting each other after so long. "I think you guys would have gotten along well back in my day."

"I hope we get along now," she said, squeezing his hand.

~~~~~~~

Sam was the one who was flying them in. Steve came up behind him and gave him the instructions, "Drop to 2600, heading 0-3-0."

"I hope you're right about this, or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to."

Just as they seemingly were going to hit the treeline and crash, the view disappeared and was replaced by a gorgeous, futuristic city. T'Challa knew they were coming, so the quinjet landed near the palace.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something," Steve said as he shook the King's hand in greeting.

From beside him, Bruce cleared his throat and bowed awkwardly, to which the King put out his hand and said, "Uh, we don't do that here."

Bruce coughed in embarrassment as Rhodey snickered under his breath.

Maturely moving past the small slip-up, T'Challa went right to business. "So how big of an assault should we be expecting?"

"Uh, sir, I think you should expect quite a big assault," Bruce vaguely answered from behind him. We knew about as much as they did.

"How we looking?" Nat asked.

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and..." he gestured forward.

Bucky emerged from a separate group of Wakandans and declared, "And a semi-stable 100-year-old man."

Everyone else dispersed to talk amongst themselves as Steve rushed forward and hugged the life out of the fellow super soldier. He was so glad to see Bucky's face through all of this chaos.