Ch. 11 - Daffodil

Wow, I haven't posted on this story since last year... :)

~~~~~~~

Steve stayed in bed unusually late, daydreaming about that kiss that felt like fireworks. He was still in disbelief over the fact that he now had a girlfriend.

And a girlfriend as amazing as her, at that.

He buried his face into the soft pillows and his body into the mattress. It felt too soft for him, still used to the cold ground he slept on during the war. It was too comfortable; he felt like he was going to sink right to the floor.

He was convinced that she was absolutely perfect. Her hair, her eyes, her lips, were all just right for him. No one was as considerate as she was. They had common interests like art and history. She was funny and did adorable things. She made him blush like a schoolboy, sometimes on purpose but other times it was just because she was just being herself.

She educated him on things he didn't know, and when he was stuck, she shifted the conversation back to where he felt comfortable. He was still trying to wrap his head around the 21st century, and she gave him this sense of peace. In this new fast-paced world, she slowed everything down. The red notebook she gave him was already full of a lot of his scribbles on what he should try and things to remember.

She didn't mind that he was a little old-fashioned when it came to dating, in fact, she encouraged it. She especially liked when he opened doors for her, the simplest thing he could do, and yet she appreciated it like he gave her diamonds.

When he spiraled down into that grief or self-destructive hole that he couldn't climb out of after he woke up, she was there to pull him out.

Steve was head over heels for that girl, absolutely and unequivocally whipped for her. He'd do anything to just see her smile or hold her hand. He'd take the stars from the sky if she asked him to.

She was his favorite person. In the world.

The thought of not having her around genuinely scared him. She helped him when he got confused, she wanted him to do good, she encouraged him to pursue happiness. Her not being there... he would probably just spiral again and never climb back out. He struggled to be half as good to her as she was to him.

He loved her, he just hadn't told her that yet.

He got up in time to leave for art class, eager to see her again even though he saw her just a few days ago.

When she came into class this time, he rose out of his seat and pulled her into his arms. Because he could. Boyfriends could hug their girlfriends.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and he nuzzled his face in her neck. She let out a small giggle when he placed a singular kiss under her jaw.

"Hi, Steve."

"Hi, y/n." Steve had decided to ditch calling her, "Ma'am" when she became his girl. If she noticed, she didn't comment on it.

He sighed, content. If he could spend the rest of his life with her and only her, he'd be more than happy with that. He reluctantly pulled himself away only after a few seconds of the embrace, looking into her eyes at arm's length.

"You ready for today?"

He was told that they were going to be starting a new painting project that day. And while he had little experience with painting due to mostly drawing back in his time, he was excited to learn more about the medium.

"I am, I'm just hoping to not make too much of a mess."

She made him aware of the fact that he was prone to having lead on his fingers after he drew due to always blending with his hands. They were given many blending tools and he did use them at times, but Steve never broke the habit.