Ch. 14 - On the Run

A lot had happened in the last four years. Steve moved to DC only a few days after he was delivered the news. The apartment was a little nicer than his one in New York, so that was good. He missed the familiarity of his home city though.

SHEILD had finally allowed him to see Peggy. The first time he visited, she had three meltdowns. One when he first showed up, and two more when she forgot he was alive because of her Alzheimer's. The first was happier because he was glad to see her again after so long. Even if she was old and frail, even if they both loved someone else, she was still his best girl.

She gave him good advice when she was with it, said that she was proud of him for saving the world again and that it was good that he was working for SHIELD now.

He told her about y/n. Peggy didn't completely understand why she left him either. She thought that them moving away from each other wasn't enough of a reason to break up, and he agreed. But then she mentioned that they were from a time where it was normal for couples to be apart for long periods of time, given the war. Maybe it was less normal nowadays.

He still went on missions, for SHIELD and when the Avengers were needed. He pretty much channeled all his energy into taking down the "bad guys" because he figured that if no one was there to lift him up into their arms then he could be there to lift others into his.

Art wasn't appealing anymore. He wouldn't say she ruined it for him, that would be too mean. He'd say that drawing reminded him of her, and he didn't want to be reminded of her when it would only lead to him destroying another page in his sketchbook.

He subconsciously drew her at least once a week in habit. Once Tony found his large stash of drawings of the girl that worked for his wife, he tried asking Steve about it. But he wouldn't talk. It hurt too much to know he could never go back. He never moved on. He never brought it up after that.

Steve had half a mind to find his little Daffodil many times. Especially after he discovered his best friend was alive and not only that, but was just as strong as him and brainwashed by HYDRA, who was also still at large. He wanted to run back to her after the events of Sokovia. After Ultron. But instead, he spent his time training the new recruits at the Avenger's Compound while simultaneously trying to find Bucky.

When Peggy died, he was actually going to fly to her and see y/n but the deal with Bucky and then the fake psychiatrist slowed the process.

Steve didn't know where else to go once he left Bucky in Wakanda. Natasha was out on her own, Sam went to inform his family of his situation, everyone else had somewhere to be or stay... he was alone.

Desperate, he showed up at her doorstep in California in civilian clothes so no one would recognize him. His beard had already grown in without access to a razor. He knocked twice, hoping she lived at this address because he only did a small bit of research to find her.

"Steve?"

The sound of her confused, but astonished voice hit him like a ton of bricks. The one person in the present that deeply cared about him, in front of him once again after four years.

He broke into tears, not knowing how else to handle the surge of strong emotion. He didn't think he was going to react this way to seeing her in person again. He needed to hold her. Even if she yelled at him and told him to leave, he just needed to have her in his arms again.

He took her in his arms in the middle of the doorway, his tears staining her shirt as he put his head on her shoulder. It had been far too long.

"Steve?" she asked, gently this time.

He was downright sobbing, embarrassingly so. He was so desperate for her not to leave him again.

She continued, "I've been seeing what's been happening on the news, but I assume you have a different side of the story."