Chapter 11

SEBASTIAN

Once again Genesis takes my breath away when she enters the council chamber the next morning dressed in another sexy power suit, this one dark red. The color reminds me of the cherry dress she wore last night and I have to skull a glass of water to soothe my suddenly parched throat.

I'm surprised when she is followed by her sisters Eva and Freya and I can't help but glance at Dante and Gage, pleased to see both looking like they are about to choke on the air they are breathing when they see their beautiful ex-mates sitting quietly in the row of seats behind Genesis.

The twins are stunning.

Where Genesis has chosen a power look, they have gone for ultra-feminine. Matching knee-length, fitted pastel dresses show off their long slim legs and willowy shapes. Hair and makeup done to perfection, the twins are clearly here to play a part. What exactly, I can't wait to find out.

The council secretary calls Genesis up and she hands him sheets of paper before sitting. Alpha Connor is Chairman today and welcomes her to begin.

It must be the bond, because for all her cool and collected exterior, exuding breathtaking confidence and power, I sense an undercurrent of nervousness.

I doubt anyone else can sense it because as I look down the line of Alphas, they are transfixed.

I force myself back into my seat and shut my shit down. She needs my full focus and I'm going to give it to her.

"Thank you, Alpha Connor." Genesis begins.

"I am here today to present The Genesis Bill on behalf of Crystal Moon Pack. The bill is sponsored by my Alpha, Quill Highwater, copies of which I've just passed to the Secretary."

I take the copy passed to me but place it face down, my full attention on Genesis, I want to hear it from her.

She sees my movement and glances at me through her thick dark lashes. I smile encouragingly and she takes a deep breath.

"The Genesis Bill seeks to enact a new wolf law to modify wolf tradition."

Shit. She's trying to do something complex and perhaps the most difficult thing to accomplish. Wolf traditions are pretty much ingrained in our DNA, most of these traditions are Goddess-given. They are virtually impossible to change, and she wants to create a new law to force change.

I feel my gut twist. This could go bad. I have to remain objective and if I don't agree with her reasoning I won't be able to support her Bill. That could seriously mess things up between us.

"We seek an Anti-rejection Law to avoid impetuous mate rejections."

I hear a low growl from Dante and murmurs from the public viewing seats.

Genesis ignores Dante and continues.

"Mates are a blessing from the Moon Goddess." she begins and I swear my heartbeat steps up a notch.

"In ancient times, to reject a mate was considered the height of insult to the Moon Goddess for the love and attention she gave to pairing werewolves with their soul mates. The Goddess made allowance for rejections under extreme circumstances such as abuse and infidelity. But somehow along the way, rejections have strayed far from their original intent to what we see today. Rejections for no cause at all."

She pauses, glancing up at her transfixed audience, and continues.

"We are all aware of the physical and emotional impact the breaking of the mate bond via a rejection has on both parties. Further, if the rejection is not accepted by one party and the other has sexual relations with another wolf, the physical pain felt by the mate left behind is akin to the physical pain of infidelity to the bond."