Chapter 24

GENESIS

Sebastian and I head over to the training grounds the next morning for the second part of the Protector Assessment.

"Thanks for taking care of me last night, honestly I'd probably be a walking zombie if you hadn't," I say as we reach the top of the hill looking down into the training field. Honestly, I was so exhausted from the day with Dante then Eva's tantrum and long-ass run. Eva is so damn fast it took everything out of me to keep up with her. If it wasn't for my Alpha strength I would have lost her for certain.

Sebastian's tenderness and care for me took it all away. I've never felt more cared for in my life - and I woke up in his arms feeling rejuvenated and, well, just loved. I love this man, with every fiber of my being.

I'm fucking terrified.

"Thank you for letting me." Sebastian smiles down at me, his hand squeezing my waist gently.

I feel like I could disappear into his smile. He's so fucking beautiful, I can't even think when he looks at me, and right now I need to concentrate if I'm going to kick Dante's ass like I want to. Sebastian grasps my hand and gives it a squeeze, sensing my sudden nervousness as I watch Dante pummel a punching bag like he's a freight train.

"Okay look, don't stress about this assessment. You've trained well for this and you know it's not a battle to the death. Just stand your ground and hold your own. Remember an Alpha never wins a battle on his own. It's the strength of the pack that does, your strength comes from being able to keep standing under pressure and showing your pack the way. Take advantage of your skills, you're fast and flexible, things Dante is not, don't try and overpower him, it won't work, he's got over a hundred kilos on you so fight smart."

I nod at his pep talk, we've been over this several times already. I know I have to be smart, but I also want to inflict damage on this wolf so badly. I need to. For Eva.

The run with her last night just fed my rage for him. Eva is far from over him. Her hate for him is equaled by her unspoken hope. Dante's presence here has got her spinning and I'm scared for her. If she does not accept his rejection I fear we will lose her forever.

Releasing Sebastian's hand I make my way down to the field. Going through my own warm-ups I focus my mind, blocking out all links to the pack and Sebastian. I have to do this on my own.

Dante approaches me as I complete my stretches.

"Are you ready?" he says tersely.

"I'm ready," I reply with a nod.

"Good. In the protector role, it is the Alpha's duty to physically protect individual members as well as the pack as a whole. In a battle against another Alpha, a win can go either way, however, it is expected that an Alpha should be able to defeat any lesser-ranked wolves.

You are not required to defeat me, you couldn't anyway, but I will assess your ability and as I warned you before, I won't be going easy on you."

His arrogance and obvious doubt at my ability to harm him grates at me fueling my rage.

"Alpha Dante, can we please get on with it." I roll my eyes at him and turn from him giving him my back as I head to the circle marked in the grass.

I hear his soft growl at my disrespect and smile at the minor point scored.

Kiara steps up to the side of the ring.

"Are you ready?" she asks us.

Facing Dante we both settle into a fighter's stance and nod.

"Proceed,"

Dante is fucking huge and I study him as he begins to stride toward me angry and hungry.

Excellent. The harder they come, the harder they fall.