[5] Dumb and giddy

"everything, in time"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I step out of coach's office and begin my walk to the student services building. Luckily, the walk isn't very long because I just want this shit over and done with as fast as possible.

I open the door of the building, feeling the immediate warmth hit my face. I walk straight over to the desk in the centre of the room.

I look down at the old lady in front of me. "I'm here for tutoring. My name is Sterling Blake." I don't waste my time with pleasantries and small talk.

"Ok, great! Your tutor just got here a few minutes ago."

I look to where the receptionist points and my eyes scan a familiar face. I don't even hear the old woman's next words and I start walking over to the girl I assumed I'd never see again. I ignore the fact that my breath hitches and my heart speeds up. She is just a girl, I remind myself.

I examine the person sitting in front of me. Her little nose is red from the cold, and her hair is up in the same style it was the first time we met, this time slightly messier.

Her words cut my staring short.

Our exchange is quick. With a little teasing, I give her my number and tell her to call me, but only after she comes up with a passable nickname.

I leave the building wiping the embarrassing smile off my face and wait for it. For that feeling I get after I talk to someone I don't really know. The one I get when I'm bored of someone. Yet, I don't get it. For some fucking reason, that girl does something to me. She makes me want to talk, to make her laugh. But she's challenging, almost, in a good way. I'm used to girls flirting and falling at my feet. Not her, she takes my jabs and goes along with it. They frustrate her, I can tell, but I see something in her eyes. Something that tells me she enjoys it more than she'd ever admit, and I like it.

Shit.

What the fuck is happening to me?

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I lower my bag onto the gym bench, deciding I need a way to clear my head before practice.

"What's up, Blakey?" I roll my eyes and look towards the source of the annoying voice.

Jax Foster. The most irritating, infuriating, aggravating person I have ever met. Basically, he's a bag of dicks. 

"Fuck off, Jax." I leave little room for discussion between the two of us.

"Someone's on edge, did you not get enough pussy last night or something?" He provokes me.

"You truly never cease to amaze me Jax. I mean honestly, do you take lessons on being an insolent jackass, or does it come naturally to you? " I say, hoping he'll take the hint and leave me alone.

I thank the universe when Mason walks in, interrupting Jax before he can voice his definite insult.

"Good Lord, why the hell are you here Foster?" Mason makes me laugh from his instant annoyance.

Luckily, Jax takes the hint and scurries away. I turn to Mason, giving him a grateful look.

"Where were you this morning?" My best friend asks.

"Coach sent me to get paired with a tutor. I'm failing psych."

"And who has the misfortune of trying to teach you?" He retorts.

I flip him off, "Just some girl." Maybe if I say it, I'll start believing it.

"What's the face for then?"

"What?" I ask, not sure what he's referring to.

"Your face, you look all dumb and giddy."

My brows furrow. I do not look dumb and giddy.

"Who's the girl?" Mason asks.

"I told you, just someone random." I try not to give in to his claims.

Almost as if she knows what I'm going through, I hear my phone ding. I swear she planned this to bother me. 

Mason looks at me and immediately reads my eyes telling him not to look. Being who he is, he doesn't listen and he launches himself to the bench my phone is on. He rips open my bag and before I have time to process it, my phone is in his hand.

"Hey, it's Delaney" He reads the text out loud. 

"Oh my god, the girl you wouldn't shut up about when you picked up Charlotte." His dumb mouth puts two and two together.

I hold the bridge of my nose, not denying nor confirming his deduction.

"That is hilarious. I can't believe she's your tutor." Mason voices, obviously ecstatic at my pairing. "You're totally into her."

"No I am not, we've talked twice." I quickly shut down that assumption. "Just because you're madly in love, does not mean the rest of us are too."

"Whatever, we'll see about that."

I rip my phone out of Mason's hand, put my earbuds in my ears, and walk away from the wiseass in front of me.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I get home from the gym and a 2 hour hockey practice and hop in the shower. I eat dinner and call Charlotte to tell her goodnight. The boys invite me out to a party but I decide not to go, I'm exhausted and just want to go to sleep. I open my phone and see Laney's text from earlier.

"Hey, It's Delaney"

I decide to text back. "Come up with a nickname yet, Laney?"

A minute or two goes by and I get a response "I'm working on it."

"I guess not all of us can be geniuses" I tease.

"Hilarious, truly. I'm glad you're impressed by taking 2 letters out of my name, but let's not forget who's tutoring who here."

I laugh at her response and shoot her one last next before I decide on heading to sleep. "Touché sweetheart, but you know the rules. No tutoring can begin until you come up with an adequate nickname."

"Rules I never agreed to by the way. But alright, give me a day or two to come up with something." I read her response, turn off my phone, and drift off.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Ok, this chapter is not my favourite. I think it's harder for me to write in his point of view, but I'm working on it. Let me know how you think I'm doing.

Question of the chapter: What was the last thing you ate?

Usually, I fly through writing chapters but this one had me stumped a few times. Took me about 2 hours and 5 old pieces of candy to get through it.

Thank you for all your support (quick reminder votes are greatly appreciated <3)

Stay safe and healthy :)