baarah. ruhaniyat

baarah. ruhaniyat

love cannot fill your stomach, but money can

_

Wedding invites were out and all the messages and wished from friends and family were pouring in like heavy Mumbai rainfall. My assistant was instructed to only inform me about important calls and other than business, nothing else was important to me. 

Except for one person of course.

"Naina, what are you doing in my cabin?" 

Naina spun in my chair, making me stand with my hands folded across my chest. "Mr. Ishaan Mathur, I need to have a serious conversation with you," She said it in the most slow and manly tone, and I shook my head. "Take a seat."

"Naina..."

"Take. A. Seat."

Raising my hands in defeat, I pulled the chair and sat in it, and she placed her arms on the glass table, eyeing me, "Firstly, congratulations on the wedding."

"Thank you, ma'am," 

"I heard that this wedding is going to be very beneficial to our company?"

"You heard right, ma'am,"

"Good, make sure then you do not go forth with this wedding."

That made me to look at my sister, confused, "you missed the script sis, that is not what you are supposed to say."

Naina shook her head, her shoulders now slumped and her head tilted as her eyes bore into mine. "You should not get married, bhai." She simply stated, making me even more confused, "this is not right."

"I don't understand."

"Because you love someone else, bhai, and you cannot marry into a loveless marriage. Do you not learn from our parents? They do not love each other and still married each other and here we are, frustrated with them. You clearly love Diya, and as sweet as Shyra is, I know you bhai, you will never love her and is that not unjust to both you and Shyra?" 

I had heard a lot of kids speak about how the fights of their parents or their divorces had affected them and I would feel really bad for them, thankful that my parents would never fight. But as I grew up, I realised that forget fighting, they did not even speak to each other, they never even looked at each other, never smiled together, never did anything together and their silent and loveless marriage was only perfect to the outside world. Their loveless marriage scared me and when I was with Diya, I had promised myself that I will leave everything but not her. 

But, she left me instead.

"Naina, you need to relax. I like Shyra, and not all marriages are like our parents."

"I know," Naina walked towards me, leaning on the table, and met my eyes, "but did you not want a love marriage? Did you not want to first fall in love and then marry?" She asked, pretty straightforward, "unlike you, I do not want to get married, not for a deal, not for anything. But you wanted to, I love you bhai, but you should not get married because this is important for the company, you should get married because you want to..."