saulah. darkhast

saulah. darkhast

When it comes to seek both power and love, one only ends up being a fool

_

I remember that day.

I remember it as clear as it was just yesterday.

Diya was very quiet in school, very disinterested in class, gave no answer when the teachers asked her a question, faced punishment for being late and did not answer back to any classmates who teased her. She did not eat anything in the lunch break, did not meet anyone's eyes, spoke nothing to anyone and acted like a corpse for that entire following week.

She did not even look at me, did not answer any of my question when I asked if everything was okay and while she was present, I could see how mentally exhausted she was. For the entire week, I just stood besides her, not letting her out of sight in case something happens to her, or she does something to her, and for a whole week, Diya acted like a zombie, just silent and those eyes were lost. She failed in the mid-tests we had that week, wrote nothing on that paper, not even her roll no and when I confronted her later that week, demanding what was wrong, she just said one thing that still haunts me till date.

'My father left me, he left me to die," She said, cold voice, eyes held no emotions, "I am an orphan now.'

Being Diya's only friend, I knew how abusive her mother was and how her father was everything to her. She did tell me that her father was seeking divorce and she was really happy to separate from her mother, finally wanting to start a life with her father and being happy. But, it broke my heart when she told me that her father just left without her, leaving her back, starting a new life without her.

If it broke my heart, I could not imagine what that poor 15 year old girl must have felt.

That Diya was back, that zombie, cold eyes, blank face and emotionless Diya was back and my heart was not capable then to comfort her, and not now either. She was only present in flesh, absent minded completely and although I stood next to her for the entire time, Diya was not there with me. She was gone, to that dark place where she had visited when she was 15 and I was helplessly standing next to her, not being able to do anything.

We stood aside the entire time, watching people cry at Diya's dead father who lay peacefully, and his wife, who was crying inconsolably. Diya was only watching from afar, not daring to come closer, and I did not want to push her either. All I cared was for her to be mentally sane right now, the dead are gone, and she needed to live for herself.

Thankfully, no family members recognised her, and she stood next to me, aloof the entire time while her father was sent to be cremated. The entire time, Diya just stood frozen, I could not even see her blink her eyes. Many people came, gave their condolences to the dead's wife, his family and left. Diya stood silent for the entire time, until it was evening and almost all of them had left. The room had just a picture of her father, smiling, and a diya lit in his remembrance.