𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊

THE TASTE OF HUMILITYKnown also as

Known also as...
{VALIANT :: Part Two}

➶︎➶︎➶︎

     "Should I wish you luck, my lord? You may come in need of it. I don't think Sir Valiant will simply let you win as the others have."

The sun was bright, the birds were singing, and Prince Arthur was asking for a good mocking, with his crisp red cape and polished armor.

    The prince stood straight-backed while Merlin ran this way and that, collecting the armor his lordship would need for the tournament. The morning sun glanced off his steel armor, casting reflections on the grass, still muddy from the last night's rain.

Even though the prince wouldn't met my gaze, I leaned into the creaking wooden fence and prompted, "Maybe if you win, the Lady Morgana will finally be impressed by you, my lord. That is what men think impresses woman, correct? Putting on a show?"

"Why don't you ask Merlin. Seems like he's figured it out." Arthur retorted, fixing his right gauntlet without missing a beat.

It took me a moment to realize to what he was referring to. I could only assume he meant the friendly kiss on the cheek I had given Merlin the morning before.

     His retort was disappointing, but understandable. While I had wished for something a bit more surprisingly witty to be returned, my friendly affection seemed easiest response. Since he likely aimed to make me embarrassed, I chose to embrace it instead.

     "Jealous, sire?" I mused slyly.

"Please," Arthur laughed through his nose. "Like I could survive an evening courting a lady like you. I would rather spear myself with a fork."

A scornful laugh fell past my lips as the what had first felt like entertaining banter, suddenly turned into a simmering row. "I'll be sure to pray for the poor maiden that's forced into a marriage with you, my lord. She'll have to deal with looking at your tiny head and fat arse for the rest of her life. I thank the heavens that I'm not some Lady on your roster."

The prince turned his gaze to me with burning eyes. "That's one thing we can both agree on!"

     "Good! I-"

Before I could get in another word edge wise, the prince yanked his helmet from Merlin's hands and marched toward the arena.

     "Well that's sure to make my day easier." Mumbled Merlin.

     What I would give to challenge Arthur to a real match were I could knock him on his fat arse faster than-

What had gotten into me? He was just as human as I was, no matter how much he hid behind his title. In the future, I shouldn't let his superiority get to me as it had. It would only serve to give him further space to taunt me- and that was the last thing I wanted to deal with.