𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

A FIGHT AGAINST TIMEKnown also as

Known also as...
{THE POISONED CHALICE :: Part One}

➶︎➶︎➶︎

     One would think after a lifetime of sneaking into festivals, I would have gotten used to them. Yet time and time again, I find myself longing to be anywhere but there.

     The Great Hall was filled to the brim with Uther's most favored- all witnesses to the signing of a peace treaty that would end a long feud between Mercia and Camelot.

What would really do Uther's subjects some good was if he finally rid Londinium of Cenrid's scum military. My home was a huge entry point for the latter king's men to pillage and rape neighboring villages. But no, if it wasn't within a few hundred acres from the safety of his castle, Uther could care less.

I stood at the edge of the room with Gwen and Merlin on either side as we observed Uther and Bayard play nice- Well, I was staring into space more than listening to be frank, until a long red feather flopping out from Merlin's ridiculous hat and slid across my face.

"Watch where you're swinging that thing, Merlin." I spluttered after the fifth time it attacked my face. "Just because you're forced to suffer doesn't mean you have to drag us down with you."

"I think it's nice." Gwen chimed in sarcastically.

Merlin's pale cheeks grew red as he grimaced. "Thanks."

It was almost as if Arthur could feel Merlin's pain, for he turned to our trio and gave the warlock, in particular, a mocking smile.

     The prince was far too pleased with himself.

I did my best to stifle a yawn, but I could hardly keep my eyes from fluttering close. Sleep had been easier to come by as of late, but rarely did I make it through the night without haunting dreams.

     "Careful," Merlin whispered to me. "If Gaius catches you yawning he'll give you a lecture on court etiquette again."

     I pushed at the warlock softly, a small smirk on my lips. "I'll take the risk." But despite my careless tone, my eyes flicked toward the physician, who stood with hands clasped behind his back. I stood a bit straight then I had a moment before- but if asked about it, I would deny it to my grave.

     The proceedings had been fairly quiet so far. Food had yet to be served. Rulf was expected to sit, so I was without proper entertainment. And not a single person was drunk yet.