𝕷.𝕭.𝖀 :: 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕱𝖎𝖊𝖑𝖉𝖘

GOLDEN FIELDSknown also as

GOLDEN FIELDS
known also as...
{TALES BETWEEN TIME :: Part Five}

➶︎➶︎➶︎

     While the city had moved on to new worries and newer gossip, Lancelot wasn't far from my mind. He had departed half a fortnight ago, leaving behind healing wounds.

     Merlin and Gwen missed him just, if not more, than I did. It had lifted Merlin's spirits to have someone close who didn't fear who the warlock was inside.
     Although Gwen insisted that she was alright, I knew the look of longing. Despite my reassurance that she would receive a letter from Lancelot any day now, I knew firsthand that it wouldn't completely chase away the pain.

     For myself, I wished that I was out there, beyond Camelot's walls. While I was sure that Lancelot rather be here as a knight of Camelot, he was able to see more of the world. He might not be happy with his decision now, but I think he'll come to realize that there is more good that one can do when you aren't limited by city walls.

     I, for one, was starting to come to that notion myself. Let's face it. Camelot wasn't in need of saving in the same way Londinium was. There was still the poor who had to work hard for their living, but they weren't forgotten like my people. The king's an arse- but a supportive one, nonetheless. At least, that what his people have told me.

     Then why don't I just go home? It wasn't that easy. Camelot might not be in need of my services, but I still needed its. Now that I knew that Camelot had no need for my help, and I could get on with finding the answers I needed to solve my own mysteries.

     Still, I felt the itch to move. I wanted to go for a hike before the fire was stirred up again; to see the northern countryside. It was that drive that led me to the stables with a saddlebag full of provisions.

     If there was anything I had learned from Camelot, it was that peace around the city was temporary. Everyone knows that the calm before the storm rarely stays for long. Now was the time to leave before I got swept up in someone else's affairs.

I wouldn't be leaving Camelot permanently, not yet. For now I planned on visiting the surrounding villages to speak with those who lived outside the city's protection. Although a lot of Sceadwian's resources were used within Londinium, we annually sent a patrol to help the villages along Cenred's border once or twice a month- more, should it be needed. If Camelot villages needed the same help, maybe we would expand that way- At least, that's what I had told myself to justify this little holiday.

     As I saddled Jaime in the stable yard, my giddiness consumed my thoughts. In less than a few hours, I'd be safe enough to just be me. There, I'll gather information on passing cargo- maybe see what common crowd goes through the neighboring villages. Then I'll see about rumors and the local news, the kind you can only find in smaller towns.