Chapter Two

I have never seen Erik so joyful

I have never seen Erik so joyful. The love is plain in his eyes whenever he looks at Clara. If pixies could be six feet tall, I might say Clara is a pixie pretending to be human. Her golden hair is short and curly around her ears. She walks with delicate steps. Like she has invisible wings to keep her toes from ever touching the floor.

"Tomorrow is Ariabella's birthday," says Erik, smiling with pride. "And she happens to love berry pie."

Clara beams, "Oh, you will have to let me bake you one!"

"Clara makes the best berry pies," my brother clarifies.I smile, "Only if you really want to," I say as Clara takes my hands in hers.

"I'm an only child," she says, lowering her voice. "You have to let me spoil you. Though, Erik tells me it would be difficult to do so."

"Did he?"

"Indeed, with such high praise."

I smile, glancing at my father. He returns the smile as if to say "I told you so."

Clara is staying the night and I've offered my bed to accommodate

Clara is staying the night and I've offered my bed to accommodate. She insists on being the one who sleeps on the floor.

"It is not how things are done," I say, laughing as I return the spare pillow to the bed. "You are a guest."

"I'm practically family," she protests, but her smile gives her away. "Really, Ariabella. There is no need to go through the trouble."

"My mother would have a fit if she checked on us and found you on the floor."

I pause, waiting for her to ask the question.

"A mother will never stop worrying for the wellbeing of her children," Clara says with a shrug. "Goodness knows my own mother still worries for me... Let us compromise. We share the bed tonight and in the event, I stay again... We have an extra bed at home. Perhaps I could have it brought here?"

I tilt my head, unsure of how to answer. I am not opposed to sharing the bed. The night can become quite chilly. We can keep each other warm.

"Too soon to suggest such familial things?" Clara asks with a wince.