Chapter Ten

For several days, I go to the stream expecting Elias

For several days, I go to the stream expecting Elias. But he doesn't come. I understand he has many duties as the prince, and yet I cannot help my disappointment.

It shows when I enter the house and remove my thick, leather boots. They are caked with mud, evidence of the heavy rains we've been having. I then remove my coat and hang it with the others. I then pull on my indoor slippers, made from the thick hide of the oxen Father raises.

Like the storm outside, there is darkness hovering. I go to the fireplace and sit on the hearth, hands out to absorb the heat.

"I rarely see you with a frown."

Erik appears beside me, tapping his bare toes near the fire.

"Care to share?" he asks, nudging his shoulder against mine.

"I don't know," I reply, shrugging. "What advice can you give to someone who... who has met her first love and hasn't seen him in several days?"

I glance at my brother. His expression is thoughtful, even though, at first, I feel like he might tease me. But he doesn't.

"Does this first love have anything to do with the pearls?" he asks, lowering his voice a smidgen. "And perhaps the Lark?"

"Yes," I say, nodding."Is the Lark a person?"

"He revealed his true identity only recently."

"And you've not seen him in how many days?"

"I've lost count."

Erik chuckles, "I see. Well, yes; you are definitely in the stages of being in love. I suppose the only advice I can give you is to hold firm and he will visit when he can... You know, when I first began courting Clara, there were days I wanted so badly to call upon her, but Father needed me here."

I nod, "Then... say this person hopes to consider himself a suitor... but he is from the high rank and it is possible his position would make people question his choice..."

I trail off, unsure of how to explain it all. But I do not have a chance to go on. The shrill neighing of horses fills the air. The clatter of carriage wheels grows louder. Erik and I rise to our feet as if the house were on fire. We hurry to the front door, Erik swings it open. I gasp when I see the royal carriage coming to a halt.

"Great heavens," Erik says with a chuckle. "I guess you needn't worry now. You were referring to the prince, right?"

 You were referring to the prince, right?"