Chapter Twelve

Elias brings me to the same courtyard as the last time

Elias brings me to the same courtyard as the last time. Except, this time, there are a pair of guards in the main entrance.

"Had we come through the secret door, they wouldn't be so close," Elias explains, never releasing my hand as we take shade beneath an Oak tree. "But certain people saw me in the hallway, so I couldn't not come back out of your suite."

I smile, "I see... Did you see the look on my mother's face? She would readily send me to the wolves."

"No, just to my arms."

I cannot contain my giggles. And Elias' smile grows as well.

"I think she just likes the idea of her daughter capturing the eye of a prince," he teases, poking my side. "Because you have."

"And what about your father?" I ask, lowering my voice to a whisper. "What does he really think about all of this? About...about the choice you are making?"

He sighs, "I know he likes you and he is allowing me to make my own choices... I do not think he will have any opposition to you when I decide to announce."

"You really are intending to see this through."

"Ariabella," Elias whispers, moving so he is on his knees in front of me. "The line is very thin between caution and fear. I never want you to think I am not a man of my word. I understand, it is very odd and out of nowhere. But I cannot help what I feel and I am very much planning to see this to the end."

There's a breeze around us, stirring up the fallen leaves in a wispy cyclone of air. It makes the curly locks around Elias' face dance and twirl. Without giving my actions much thought, I reach up and push the hair back.

He catches my hand, entwining our fingers together and kissing the back of my hand. And for a moment, it is like the rest of the world ceases to exist.

After spending many hours in the courtyard, Elias brings me to the royal library

After spending many hours in the courtyard, Elias brings me to the royal library. No one is here. Guards are posted outside the doors, but they don't seem at all interested in looking at the spines of books.

"Want to see something interesting?" Elias asks, leading me to the desk at the center of the room.

I snicker, "You are very eager to show me, so how can I decline?"

He chuckles, reaching for the open book in the middle of the table, and flipping through the pages.

"I've spent many hours in this place," he explains, scanning each page while running his index over the printed words. "My tutors slaved to teach me all of Evæqesta's history and the lineage of royals. What fascinated me most was the reign of Queen Brinnuth. She was forced to overthrow her mother and take the throne in order to restore peace and good fortune to the kingdom."

He goes on to tell me how the young queen went on to marry one of the princes of a neighboring kingdom and adopted ten children because she couldn't have any of her own.

"Ten children is a large number," I say, expecting Elias to say he wants that many children.

"Heavens, it is," he sighs, nodding. "Which is why I would be happy with just one child... I believe it is safe to say I definitely wish for this with you."

"Specifically me?" I whisper, watching him close the book and push it aside."Specifically you, yes.""When did you decide I was a candidate for your affections?"

"That one morning you trekked out in the snow and built that fire for a little bird who should have remained at home... I believe you caught a fever that day."

I smile, letting him move the hair falling on my face.

"That was the day I realized you are the kind of person who gives up of your own self for the sake of others. If that is not a quality to seek in a life partner, I do not know what is."My hands seem to have minds of their own as I capture his face and bring him forward. Before now, I have not initiated a kiss. I am not sure what to do except press my lips to the ones I've grown so used to. Closing my eyes to savor the moment.

I break the contact and drop my hands. Elias whisks me off my feet, setting me on the table. He repeats the action of taking my face in his hands, touching his lips to mine. I sigh, close my eyes again. If a moment could last forever, in this one I've lived three lifetimes.

"What's this?"

Elias pulls away but his hands remain on my cheeks. To my surprise, the woman called Charlotte is standing just within the library. Watching us with a wide gaze.

 Watching us with a wide gaze

"Did you see the look on her face?" Elias whispers, laughing softly as we slip through multiple secret passageways

"I'm not so certain I like the idea of making her dislike me more than she already does," I whisper back, shaking my head as he leads me into a narrow path. I believe we are near my family's suite. At least, that is where we are supposed to be going.

"Hmm, jealousy does not become a lady. Especially one like Charlotte who can use her name to get anything she wants... You don't compare yourself to her, do you Ariabella?"

I sigh, "No, I have not compared myself to her. Truthfully, I thought nothing of her until I saw her at the palace gates. And even then, I chose to not remember her."

"Care to clarify your reasoning behind this decision?"

"Probably was something in relation to the time she was seated beside you and I wished I was the one you were talking to at supper..."

"The first time you came here."

Elias pulls me close to his chest. His warmth reminds me of a thick blanket in the wintertime. The security of his embrace surrounds me in the darkness.

"I wanted you to be the one sitting beside me as well," he whispers, and something presses against the top of my head.

[words:1088]