Chapter Thirteen

Clara has a million and ten questions for me when I appear in our shared room, from a wall behind one of the beds

Clara has a million and ten questions for me when I appear in our shared room, from a wall behind one of the beds. Of course, Elias takes the opportunity to greet her before he slips away.

"I'll see you tonight," he tells me before disappearing into the darkness.

"He took you through the secret passageways!" Clara squeals, grabbing me by the hand as she drags me to bed. "Is hoping to see you tonight, and has gone out of his way to bring you here. Ariabella, you expect a proposal very soon."

We share a giggle; of course, I cannot tell Clara that I am already expecting a proposal from Elias. I can't express to her all he confided to me just a few hours ago.

"Has he kissed you?" she asks, lowering her voice while glancing at the closed door. "If he hasn't, he has excellent self-control."

I touch my lips. Probably shouldn't have done this because now Clara is squealing louder. Thankfully, to my embarrassment, no one comes running to ask what is wrong.

"Contain yourself," I whisper, slapping her on the arm. "Yes, we've kissed."

"Ariabella..." she giggles and shakes her head as she covers her mouth, but her smile is visible through her fingers. "How was it?"

"How was what?"

"The kiss? Did it seem like he knew what he was doing? Was it his first kiss? Was it your first kiss?"

"So many questions..."

Clara helps me cinch my corset and ties it off before removing the cloth curlers from my hair

"You are going to be the centerpiece at the ball, tonight," she says, smiling at me in the mirror's reflection. "The prince will surely dance with you all night."

"I'll trip all over his feet," I say, "I have not learned to dance much."

"You at least know the traditional dance of Evæqesta, right?"

"Well, yes."

"Then you needn't worry much. If he chooses a different dance, he will show you how the steps."