Chapter Four

When it comes time to discuss payment and price, the woman - who has introduced herself as Lidia - says she is willing to accept a trade

"What sort of trade are you willing to accept?" Mother asks; she hopes to negotiate the best exchange possible. The pearl is meant to be our final option.

"If your daughter is willing," Lidia replies, offering a gentle smile. "She could help me around here for a few days. The earrings should be done by week's end."

"That seems fair," I say, but Mother stops me by touching my shoulder.

"I do not know if I am comfortable with the situation," she says, shaking her head. "We live deep in the country and I would not want her walking unchaperoned."

"Clara lives nearby," I say, "I could stay with her until the earrings are finished."

"Erik mentioned her going away to visit family in the greater city."

"Oh... Mrs. Lidia, would you accept a pearl as payment?"

Her hazel eyes grow wide as she pushes her spectacles back up her nose.

"It would depend on the value," she says, hesitance in her eyes. "Do you have said pearl with you?"

"I do, but I will not leave it with you until I have received the earrings."

"I accept your terms... I would still like to see the pearl, to determine the value."

I look at my mother for approval. She nods and I reach into my pocket. My fingers touch the handkerchief. Am I truly about to offer my last pearl from the Lark to this woman?

I sigh, bringing the handkerchief out and unfolding the fabric. The dark gray pearl glistens in the dimming light. Lidia gasps motioning me closer to the candlelight.

"Nearly black," she says, turning it over with the tip of her index finger. "My dear, I have met one other person in possession of a pearl like this one... it was some days ago I was asked to appraise a pearl of similar size and color. You said the pearls were a gift-"

"They were a gift," my mother protests, clamping her hand over the pearl and moving my hand away. "Believe me, we are well aware of the consequences to stealing from those above our station. My daughter is as honest as they come and I can vouch for her."

"I did not mean to offend," Lidia sighs, shaking her head. "But as you are aware, the law regarding such matters is quite clear. I am afraid I am required to report you to the royal treasury."