Chapter Nine

I inhale softly, eyes closed and my face tilted toward the warm sun

I inhale softly, eyes closed and my face tilted toward the warm sun. The calm breeze caresses against my cheeks. Loose strands of my hair whip to and fro. Such a lovely day. Of course, there is only one thing that could make it better.

"You came."

I smile, turning my gaze to Elias as he steps out from behind a tree. The sleeves of his white shirt are rolled past the elbow. Black trousers folded just below his knees. He is barefoot and carries what appears to be a basket. And his hair is held back by a leather band.

"Coming here is part of my routine," I say, moving toward him.

I am not sure what to expect. Does he intend to visit in human form from now on? Is this his way of courting me? Will he kiss me again?

"I've brought us a picnic," he says, setting the basket on the floor. "I hope you like berry tarts."

"You know berries are my favorite," I reply, my heart pounding in my chest. "I brought them every day they were in season."

Elias chuckles, "Yes, you did."

He pulls me into his arms with a tight embrace.

"I cannot begin to tell you how difficult it has been for me to not see you," he whispers as if someone might hear him. "I would have come immediately after you left."

"I wouldn't have been here to meet with you," I reply as he pulls away.

"That is true; I spent the day convincing myself to have patience. Additionally, you have only just learned about me and who I am. I need to give you time to know me the way I know you."

Warmth covers my cheeks. Elias smiles, holding both my hands between us.

"I told you so many secrets," I whisper, staring into his eyes. "Things I would never tell anyone."

"You know I would never tell them to anyone," he whispers back, shaking his head. "And your secrets... I wouldn't say they are dark secrets."

"Childish whims."

"No..."

"Ridiculous notions?"

He grins, "No, never."

"What would you call them, then?" I ask, letting him guide me to the blanket I brought.

"You were doubting yourself," he replies, releasing my hands to spread the blanket before pulling me down with him. "You were entering a new phase of your life and you were afraid to approach the subjects with other people. And, as my own father would say, it is alright to have questions. How else will we find the answer?"

I tuck my legs beneath me, thinking over his words. Elias turns to the basket and begins to empty the contents before us.

"Does your father know that you come here?" I ask, "Or more specifically, does he know you come to see me?"