Chapter Four

"Now. You might as well let me sit on your horse," she says, patting Bucephalus.

Before I can respond, Hazel already begins to climb onto Bucephalus' back. "Okay then," I say awkwardly, "You're sitting on my horse. Great."

"Yes, I am. Get over it." Hazel takes hold of the reins, and begins to lead the horse straight as I uncomfortably sat on the back with no support.

"What do I hold onto?" I ask, fearing I might fall of any second.

"Hold onto... his harness or something?" Hazel says, without looking back, steering the horse to take a turn to the right. She's actually pretty good at controlling the horse. Even better than me, if I'm going to be honest.

"There's no space to hold onto to harness! Should I hold your shoulders or something?"

"Yeah, whatever, scaredy cat."

I sigh, "By when will we reach?"

"We're just a minute away. Hold on properly, now; we're going to gallop fiercely!" Hazel tells me excitedly.

I grip on tighter, and she pulls Bucephalus' reins.

As Hazel promised me, we're practically flying there. It's kind of fun, to feel the wind in your face. I finally understand why nature is so beautiful. I got so into the feeling, that I didn't even realize that minute go by.

"We're here," Hazel says in a sing-song voice.

"That was... fun." I laugh with pure joy.

Hazel chuckles, and gets off Bucephalus' back. I copy. She holds onto Bucephalus' harnace, and chains him by the back of the house.

"Come with me, I'll take you inside, and give you food." Hazel says, sprinting, not giving me a chance to reply.

༻✦༺  ༻✧༺ ༻✦༺

"So," Hazel says, sitting down next to me. "Tell me."

"Tell you what?" I ask, biting the chips.

"Your story. The story of Noah." She smiles.

I'm startled by her sudden interest. So I try to make an excuse, "Wait... erm, where are your parents?"

"Ah." Her smile breaks. "They're not here anymore."

"Oh. OH! I'm so sorry I asked!" I bow my head.

"It's okay. You didn't know. But don't change the subject. Tell me." Hazel shakes it off.

I scratch my head uncertainly. I really do want to get everything off my chest, but what if Hazel let the cat out of the bag? If I left out a few parts, maybe then I can tell her. I swallow, "Okay."

"Great! Go on, Noah!"

I titter, "About that... I might have lied about my name?"

"You what?" Hazel yells, looking as though she'd punch me. Then she takes a deep breath and sits back down. "Sorry. Go on. Tell me your real name."

"Nijel." I say.

Hazel nods eagerly.

And then I spill. I tell her the tale of Prince Nijel.

Don't worry, I'll share with you too. But if I were to narrate the amount of times Hazel interrupted me, it would take all day. So, instead, I'll give you the synopsis of what I told her.

I was around seven, and I had to learn how to wield a sword. That was the day all of the darkness started. One of my father's most trustworthy guards had to teach me. We started with a slightly light weighted sword. But to me, it was as heavy as a mountain. When I tried to hold it, I immediately fell. The gaurd did his best of helping me wield it, but every time, I fell or dropped it.

And so, the end of the week arrived, when the gaurd was to inform my father about my progress. Of course, there wasn't any progress. My father was furious at this. Me, the next heir to the throne, couldn't even hold a sword right. Father angrily put me up for training for five hours per day. By the end of each day, I was so exhausted, I couldn't even get a minute to breathe.

One of those days, I made up my mind. When I will become the king, which I will, I'll change all those gruesome rules. When I get married, I definitely will not treat my kids the way he does.

As the months flew by, and I had turned eight, the most I could do with a sword was swinging it. And that progress, my Father was not happy to see. I practically learned what any normal child would have learnt in a week, in six months.

Father began to like Martina far more than me, and was incredibly obvious with his favouritsm. He'd go as far as to rub it in my face with the, "Dear daughter," and "My sweetheart," and not to forget, "My Queen."

Martina was an angel when she was younger, always helping me out and being kind. I grew a soft spot for her. That soft spot now, had dissolved completely. She tried to poison me. If Maria and Miguel hadn't found me in time, I could have died.

Years later, here I am today, completely betrayed by my father and sister. Being forced on this mission to rescue some princess I had no care in the world for. I was just doing this for the throne.

"Wow." Hazel murmers. "I'm sorry."

I shake my head, pushing the negative thoughts aside. We sit in silence for a moment.

"Do you want another packet of chips?" Hazel asks finally, breaking the silence.

I swallow and lick my lips, "If you could spare some."

"Okay," she nods, getting up, walking over to the kitchen.

I look at the ground. All the pessimistic thoughts I've been ignoring drown me.

I've been procrastinating so much that I've not even taken a moment to think about the damsel waiting for me. If I don't hurry up, it will be too late. I'll neither be king, nor be successful.

I'll be a failure.

It'll be best if I just run away. If I don't succeed, that's what I'll do.

Not that anyone back at home will care anyway.

My father would be happy, and Martina would just be grateful to have me away from her. I wonder, I wonder what I did to her that was so horrible.

"Hey," Hazel says softly, breaking me out of my thoughts. "Are you okay?"

"What do you mean?" I hic.

Hazel signs for a tear rolling down her cheek.

I realize I had been crying. The silent cries that one often doesn't realize are happening.

I wipe mine quickly, "I'm okay." I pause. "I'm not okay."

A/N: How did you guys like the chapter? If you enjoyed, please don't mind voting, commenting and following me. It would really help!