Chapter Twelve

You know, when I was sent on this mission, I did not expect anything of this sort. I didn't except action, fun, adventure, or some random girl I never knew coming along with me. But here I am, almost dead. Yay.

The creatures charge at me, glowing orbs in their hands. I take my sword and slash it at their head. Of course, that's not their Achilles heel. The first creature doesn't stop like the second one, and tries throwing his orb at me. Miraculously, I dodge, just in time.

He looks shocked, brows raised. The second one gestures for the first one to hurry by his side. Of course, I don't let this opportunity go to waste.

I flash my sword every at every single spot I can think of. The second creature doesn't just watch me; he rushes behind me, trying to throttle me. I hit the butt of my sword at his stomach, forgetting he can't feel anything. Furiously, I turn around, cutting the first creature's leg in the process.

I don't know what luck Ma or God gave me, but the creature falls to crumbs. I stiffle a laugh, my stomach twisting. I gasp for breath, looking around for help.

This creature somehow blocked my lungs?! No air goes in and I desperately wheeze and pant.

"Prince Nijel? Are you okay?" Edwin calls, caressing Hazel's head.

My expression warned him enough.

Edwin lightly places Hazel's head on the ground, and sprints towards me.

"Give me your sword, please!" Edwin yells, fear imprinted on his face.

With shaky hands, I hand over the sword. Edwin grasps it and stabs the sword into the creature's abdomen.

Of course, that doesn't work. My throat and lungs begin to ache. If Edwin was going to destroy this creature, he needs to do it right now.

Again, I think, do it again.

The creature sends a ball of light on Edwin's side. He presses it, encouraging him to continue.

"Again. I'll do it again, Prince Nijel. I'll do it for as long as it takes. Please go help Hazel." Edwin gets up, brows furrowed.

I back away, watching Edwin's failed attempts of hitting the sword. Clearly, he can't master the art of fencing in a matter of two minutes. He needs help. But how do I help? I can't even breathe! One more move and I could collapse on the ground.

I tumble to the ground, next to Hazel.

Hazel is clearly in pain. "Nijel?" She croaks.

And I fall. To the ground. Eyes shut. I have fainted.

༻✦༺  ༻✧༺ ༻✦༺

Why am I always awaken by water splashed on my face? First with that girl, María, and now with Hazel and Edwin.

"Nijel!" Hazel gasps. Her eyes were full of tears. I get up, pain spreading through every muscle in my body.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Am I okay? Nijel, you almost died!"

"So did you." I counter.

Hazel sighs. "That was... different. Edwin managed to kill the last creature. And... I survived. I made it. You, on the other hand- your pulse was low, your heart, it was barely even beating. I thought..." Hazel began to cry. "I thought you would die."

For the first time, probably ever, I know what to say to her. I know what to say to comfort her. "It's okay. I'm here. And I always will be."

Hazel brushes a tear off her cheek and smiles at me. "Thank you."

I sit in silence with her for a minute, letting her collect her thoughts. "Where's Edwin?" I finally ask.

"He's getting us some food and herbs. For you to heal." Hazel explains.

"Wasn't he hurt himself?" I question.

"He's fine." Hazel said quickly.

"Oh." I look around myself. It's morning. Yet another day wasted. At this point, getting to the princess would be impossible.

"H-hey." Hazel said, looking into my eyes, "It's okay. Don't worry, we'll make it."

I nod, to give Hazel some ease. I didn't want to stress her out even more. Besides, it's not like there's a throne on the line. Oh wait, there is.

Yay.

"I know that look." Hazel murmers.

"Hm?" I ask, not sure if I heard her right.

"I know that look, Nijel," Hazel repeats, louder this time. "That sad little grin that looks so forced it's as though you hate me. I know you're still worried about it."

She knows me so well. I nod, swallowing a bit.

Hazel reaches out for my hand and places it on hers. My heart gives a flutter. "That look is still there."

"Really?" I say, trying to fix my smile.

Hazel doesn't reply, instead looks towards her right. "Oh. It's just you, Eddy. For a minute I thought it was someone else."

Eddy laughed awkwardly, inspecting us. His eyes drift to Hazel's hand kept over mine, "Sorry, am I interrupting something or..?

Hazel frantically removes her hand from mine, blushing slightly, "No not at all!"

I silently curse Edwin for coming in at the wrong time.

"Oh and I got some stuff for us to eat. I also got a few leaves that look plump enough to heal your wounds. I always carry a few herbs and other medical ointment in my bag." Edwin explains, carrying a bowl full of water in his hand

"Why? Aren't you a farmer?" I ask, remembering Hazel's conversation with him.

"I am, but that's because my Dad wanted me to take over his farm after he passed away. I learnt medicine and doctorate from my Mom." Edwin said sadly.

Hazel pat his shoulder as he sits nest to her.

"Oh. Sorry." I try to sound comforting, but it comes out blunt. I get it, he has his own problems, but mine are far worse and far more important. I hate how he could just act-like he's the most important person to ever exist. To Hazel, definitely, he's far more important, isn't he?

"Nijel!" Hazel mutters under her breath.

"It's fine, Hazel." Edwin says, rummaging through his bag. He pulls out a few vials and boxes. Also a bowl. Why does he need to carry another bowl?

"What's with the bowls?" Hazel asks my question.

"I need to add some ingredients in it sometimes. But first- I need to find the vinegar." Edwin explains. Then, he pulls out a small, curved vial and smiles, "Found it."

"What exactly will you do with vinegar?" I ask.

As he pours half the bottle into the bowl, he illustrated, "This leaf will first be dipped in water, and then, pressed on your scratch." It stung a bit a he did it. "Then, in vinegar, and then onto your scratch."

I winced as it hurt for a moment.

"I will have to repeat this process everywhere where you've gotten scratched and then take some wine and cover it with cloth. But your scratches aren't much of a problem right now. Your wound is. What I'll have to do is take honey and wine, and water, of course, and treat your wound. But that could take a while." Edwin rambles on.

"I'll help." Hazel says promptly. "I got the basic idea, so I can treat the scratches, and you can work on the wound."

Edwin nods. "That would be great, Azzie." Then he turns his attention to me. "This will hurt a lot. Far worse than last time. So, to ease pain, focus only and only on something or someone that matters to you. Got it?"

"S-Sure." I say, breath faltering. I turn my head towards Hazel and watch her work on my scratches.

Hazel notices almost immediately, and smiles slowly to herself, not saying a word.