Chapter Six

I sit down next to Hazel, admiring the neat restaurant. The table's covered with a light blue table cloth, and the seats with a pillow tucked in with the help of a white cloth. It has respectable decorations, as well. The restaurant looks modern for our time, I like the vibe it gave off, in all honesty. And the employees, so far so, were nice too.

Me and Hazel had come to a stop at around nine P.M., when we felt hungry enough to stop by to get some food. We stopped at a crowded place, a young man invited us in to his father's restaurant. We agreed, and now here we are.

Hazel takes off the cloth of the little basket placed in the center, revealing bread. She immediately grabs two, and dives in, eating two at the same time. I give her a skeptical look, and take some bread for myself.

"This is really good," Hazel say with a stuffed face.

"It's alright, I suppose," I reply, missing the casseroles and fresh meat at the palace.

Hazel shrugs, continuing to eat.

A waiter comes to our table. He appears to be shocked by Hazel's skin, but shakes it off, and asks, "What would you like?"

"More of this bread." Hazel says eagerly.

The waiter raises an eyebrow, "For that you need to order, madam."

"What's the cheapest thing? Sorry, we're on a budget." I ask.

"That would be five dollars, for a serving of a small fruit salad."

"We'll get that." I nod.

"Okay," he scribbles onto his notepad, "would you like two servings?"

"Ye-" Hazel starts.

"No." I say firmly. "We'll have one serving."

The waiter nods, and goes to alert the chef on our order.

"Why did you say that? I'll starve!" Hazel complains.

"We have to save our money, Hazel." I shake my head.

"God! You're so mean, Nijel!" Hazel sigh, acting grumpy.

This makes me laugh. And without thinking I blurt out, "That's cute."

Hazel looks at me, "Did you just-?"

"No." I laugh awkwardly. I can feel my face turning as red as a tomato, "I said your expression is cute."

Hazel looks the other way, her cheeks with a tint of a pink. And she did not face me until we got the salad.

The same waiter places them on the table, warning us that they were hot.

I take a fork and knife, and begin to eat.

"You're so extra, Nijel. Just pick up the food, with your fingers, and eat." Hazel says, demonstrating the process by picking up a mango slice.

"Your hands will be the one regretting it, with all the gooey stuff stuck to it." I reply, happy with the way I ate.

"I doubt that," she looks at me mischievously, and licks her fingers.