Chapter Eight

As I ran, my sword pointing towards her, a feeling in my gut told me to stop, that it wasn't worth it. But I tell myself it doesn't matter. I cared too much about Hazel to stop now.

My sword would have striked her, but then she stepped aside swiftly.

"Best you got?" She smiles to herself.

Her voice is threatening, and I feel a hint of fear, but I don't stop. I look back at Hazel and notice her expression changing into relief. Maybe if I distract her for long enough, Hazel's memories will get brighter? So I try, strike after strike to hit her. But she predicts my moves with all too much ease, and she dodges them all. I bite my lip, thinking of what to do.

"Come on, don't stop." She says again.

I close my eyes. Letting my mind clear, I clutch the sword in such a manner that the sword would hit, or I would hit it with the hilt of it mid-action. Thinking it's a solid plan, I strike. She dodges my an inch, and looks impressed.

"Good one. But not good enough." She remarks, casting a look of smug.

I sigh with frustration. I wanted to yell, but I knew far too well from all the things my teachers at the castle had told me, to not talk. I don't really believe the stories and rumors that spread at the castle- they spread and change- but, hey, why take the risk?

"You're so boring. You know what, I'll attack now. I want to see you try to defend yourself, and miserably fail." She tells me.

I shake my head, trying to say that I won't accept defeat.

She laughs, "You think you can beat me? You think you can beat Astrid Stone, the Sorceress who has made Earth what it is today?"

I don't reply.

I'll just say her name- it's getting annoying for me too. Astrid places her hands on her head, smiling elegantly and gracefully; her light golden hair floating upwards. A lightning bolt shaped figure forms in her hands as she places them forward.

I gulp. What is that?

"The wisdom I have in my head, is what this is." Astrid explains, "I form things with my mind. Making me the most powerful thing on this Earth. One snap of my fingers, and I could kill a Megladon shark. You, are no match."

The constant reminders of me not being powerful enough to beat her get to me. I yell back, just like I promised myself not to, "Even if I don't win, I know I'm doing my friend a favor!"

"Oh are you? Wonderful then! Keep on going till you regret it." Astrid throws the lightning bolt shaped figure at me. My sword drops to the ground as I deflect it quickly; but without contact, I feel a sizzling burn on my hand.

I cower, looking at my hand. A deep cut. How? How did she do that? Was it because I talked?

"Die." She says.

A larger bolt is shot towards me. I make a shield with my hands and close my eyes shut.

Now I wait for death to approach me.

Slash.

I fall to the floor with a thump.

So painless. Is this how death is? No pain, just dreams? I've almost imagined it, with big-

"Nijel!" I hear a familiar voice yell.

I don't reply. Is this- is this the God who helped me with the weather? But then, she's a girl? Hmm, never imagined it that way, thought he would be a male, really.

A sob. "Nijel!" I feel a gentle embrace and a thud on the ground. She's hugging me? "Nijel! Open your eyes, Nijel! Open your eyes!"

I don't want to. I want to sleep! But I guess since she asked me to, I'll do it. I open my eyes, to see the multi-toned skin, and thick black hair of Hazel.

"Haze..?" I ask.

"Nijel!" She sobs happily, tears streaking down her face.

I'm very confused. "I'm alive?"

Hazel nods, "But I need to-" hic- "get you to a doctor."

"Why?"

"I made it in time to save your life, but you've got a horrible gash on your stomach. You're- you're bleeding like crazy." Hazel wipes her tears.

I can't think of anything to say but to ask if she's okay. "You hurt?"

"No. Just a cut on my stomach."

"You need the doctor too!" I tell her. She holds my head and legs, and starts to get up.

She chuckles, "Hold on, Nijel. I'm going to lift you up. God. You're double my size."

I nod, worried.

She manages to pick me up, her body shaking and straining. We get out and see Bucephalus tied to a tree. Hazel places me onto his back, and pants.

"You're so heavy." She remarks, getting on, behind me for the first time. "Now spread yourself out on me. I'll lead Bucephalus to a place where we can get you treated."

I do as she tells me, my cheeks turning hot.

"Let's go, Bucephalus." Hazel says, gripping on. Bucephalus begins to gallop.

"Hey Hazel?"

"Yes?"

"What happened?" I ask.

Hazel doesn't reply for a moment. "I... I got out of that, and I saw you and your sword. I picked it up and ran towards her. I managed to give her a slight cut, but she- she somehow without doing anything gives me a cut five times worse then I gave her.

"She disappeared and she told me something."

"What was it?" I interrogate.

Hazel sniffles. "'You'll regret this.'"

"I'm- I'm sure its nothing. Don't worry."

"How can you be optimistic right now? She literally told us that we'll regret it!" Hazel grunts.

"Sure, but let's not worry right now. It won't be that bad. It's just a scratch, right?" I say sympathetically.

Hazel shook her head, "I might have- I might have insulted her?"

"You what?!"

A/N- Ooh, what do you think will happen next? Did she- *cough*- Astrid Stone, curse Hazel? Will Nijel get better? Will Nijel get to the princess in time? Will Bucephalus still be an icon? The last one's answer is yes. Others... I can't reveal too much yet.