Chapter Nine

I wince with pain, the continous dabbing and wrapping of the cloth was really painful.

"It'll be alright." The doctor tells me, "You made it in enough time to get this treated. Luckily, this thick clothing you were wearing prevented the damage from being over the top. Now all you need to worry about, is an infection."

"Infection?" I ask, grunting with pain.

"Your open wound has been revealed to a lot of germs, so, while the chances might make small, you could get an infection." The doctor explains. "You just have to be extra careful, and stay in bed for a week."

"A week?!" I exclaim. I have eleven days before coronation; if I stay in bed for seven days, I'll only have four days left! And I'm only half way there. I'll never make it!

"Yes. But don't worry. I'll treat the wound best I can, so maybe you'll be out in five days." He says, as he layers honey on the wound. It stings. He continues, black hair pulled aback in a sleek ponytail, "This is to prevent infection. I think you're all set, now. I'll just quickly wrap it up, and I'll call your friend in."

I nod, pressing my eyes shut as he gently wraps up my wound with a white cloth. He pulls my shirt on- well, it's technically his, mine's too soaked in blood.

"Hazel!" He calls.

She enters the room quickly, a tear forming in her eyes. "Is he okay?"

"He'll be fine. He requires some bedrest for a week." The doctor begins. Hazel shoots me a worried glance. "He'll be under my supervision for a week, so don't worry at all, Miss Hazel. But, as a different topic, would you want me to fix whatever is going on with your skin?"

"Excuse me?" Hazel snaps, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Y'know, the patches." The doctor says.

Hazel gave the doctor a nasty look, "It's called vitiligo and, no, I'll be fine, but do you want me to fix your face? All that acne, and y'know, the wrinkles. I swear, one punch will do it!"

"I- I don't have wrinkles yet!" The doctor defends himself, placing his hands on his cheeks as though checking for confirmation.

Hazel tisks and makes a noise with her tongue. "Sure you don't."

I can't help but snicker.

"Nijel, I didn't realize you were awake." Hazel rushes over to me, smiling.

I nod, noticing her shoulder fully treated.

Hazel crouched beside me, "How are you feeling?"

"Not that great. It hurts a lot. And the doctor said that I can't leave for a week. Then I'll only have four days left." I whisper.

"Oh. Well... don't worry about that." Hazel tells me. "Maybe I was wrong. Maybe this is just God showing us a sign that being king isn't meant for you."

Is Hazel confessing she was wrong? Impossible! "We'll make it..." I mumble.

"Maybe. And Nijel, I never got to thank you."

"For what?"

"You saved my life! If you hadn't charged at her, then, I would have died. The more her consternation was directed to you, the happier the memories got. Then finally, I got reversed back to the memory of me when I was little, and then it ended, and I saw you!" Hazel's lip cowers, her eyes puffy.

"No, thank you," I say. "I would've died too."

Hazel burries her head in her hands. "It's fine. And now, take rest, will you?"

"Wait, Hazel. Can we- can we leave early?" I whisper lightly.

"No, Nijel! You could die..." Hazel reprimands.

"But Haze... I need this. I really, really do." I beg.

Hazel stays silent."If...if you promise me that you'll not exert yourself." Hazel nods.

"Yes. I will." I nod, a smile creeping across my face.

"Okay, no rest, you fool." Hazel smiles, getting up and heading out the door, alongside a very scared looking doctor.

I close my eyes, trying to sleep. Not too long after, I fall asleep, now dreaming.

༻✦༺  ༻✧༺ ༻✦༺

"Nijel!" I hear a voice calling my name. I turn around, seeing the ghastly face of Martina; long yellow gown, chestnut hair, big blue eyes.

"Martina?" I croak. Wait, why can I talk? Is this a lucid dream? Am I really a lucid dreamer?!

Martina smirks, holding a heavily jeweled crown. The king's crown. "Look! I'll be modeling this soon!"

My mood changes immediately, "No, you won't!" I yell, "I'll be back in time, I swear!"

"Too bad, so sad." Martina rolls her eyes.

"Did you really posion my food?"

"Well, duh. Why do you think I knew that servant anyway? I asked her to poison your food."

"I knew it." I cry. "You did this just because you're your father's little girl, who wanted nothing more than my throne, who's far better than me!"

Martina eyes me for a moment and replies. "Yep."

"How are you able to talk to me?"

"Mother's tower." She says promptly.

I was enraged. How could she? How could she dare to step into Mother's room? Even after...

"I... I HATE YOU, MARTINA!" I shriek. That was a lie though. Even though I'll never forgive her, I can't hate her. Even if she stabbed me in the back, used a servant, entered Mother's room, I can't hate her. I simply can't. Even if I know all she has done to me, I can't believe that my angel of a sister is such a person.

"I hate you too, Nijel. Now wake up." Martina smiles. She hates me.

A/N: Nijel's mom, huh? Who is she? Why did Nijel care so much? Did you predict Martina to be like this? Vote, comment and follow to find out :)