18

Idolized

I hadn't seen Alexander for a week, even as we had the meetings for the soccer team and worked on the dynamics of it all. Marco stated he wanted the uniforms to be purple and yellow so I sent the design to a friend of mine that specializes in manufacturing uniforms.

We even talked to the team, let them choose what number they wanted, and then Marco and Yufei started to run practice to see who was qualified for what position. 

The whole time, I wondered if my decision to stay just friends with Alexander made him run away. But then one day I spot him by the cafe near my job, holding a little girl's hand. The first thought that came to mind was if that was his daughter. I didn't know him well, who knew what life he lived behind closed doors.

I looked away as I wait in line, not wanting him to catch me staring. No need to make him think I cared or I was curious.

Just then, though, I heard a knock on the cafe's window. When I turned my head, I see him smiling in looking at me. He walks to the door and walks in with the little girl.

The little girl had on a brown plaid uniform and a red ribbon on her ponytail. She was adorable, her eyes were huge and blue just like his. I smiled down at her, and then her eyes widen.

She shrieked and pointed at me. "Oh my god!" She gasped and looks up at Alexander, I look up at him too, confused at first until she continued, "It's her, the fashion designer I love, it's her! It's her! It's her!"

She ran towards me, releasing Alexander's grip, and wraps her arms around my legs. I look at him, and he's smiling. I look back down at the girl, and she smiles up at me, I couldn't help but smile back.

She was a fan?

I never thought that I'd meet a fan, at least not like this. I open my mouth to say something, but before I could, she turns to Alexander, a frown on her face. "Uncle Alex, why didn't you tell me you knew Margo freaking Ambrosia?"

I licked my lips and looked up at him. Uncle?

I lift an eyebrow at him, and he glances at her. "Sophie," he starts. "I didn't even know you were a fan."

"That's no excuse." 

A small laugh escapes my lips, and she hugs me tighter. "This is unreal, I can't believe this is happening to me," she says then looks up at me. "You're my idol." She tears up, I bend down and wipe her tears. 

"Hey," I put a hand on her shoulder, she sniffs and looks at me. "Why don't I get us a cake and we can chat?"

She smiles widely and nods. I stand up, and extend my hand, she takes it, and we move up in line. Alexander comes to stand beside me and leans into my ear, "Look at that, even my niece likes you." My face burns up, and I look up at him. He smirks down at me, and I look away.

"You guys make such a beautiful family," the barista says when we move up to the counter. I go to correct her, but Alexander beats me to the punch.

"I know," he says as he puts his arm over my shoulder. "My two beautiful girls."

I inwardly roll my eyes, and look down at Sophie, "What cake do you want?"

She points to the red velvet cake. The woman smiles down at her and puts it on the counter. "Can I have a lemon cheesecake?"

I reach for my wallet, but Alexander slaps a twenty-dollar bill on the counter before I could take it out. "Thanks."

We take our cakes and sit at a booth by the window. 

"Are you two together?" I was putting a piece of cake in my mouth before she said this, and now I was trying my best not to choke.

Alexander meets my eyes and smirks. We look down at Sophie. "No."

"Well," Alexander says. "Not yet."

I keep my eyes down on my cake. I wasn't expecting him to say that. Is that what he wanted? A relationship with me?

Did that mean that he didn't want me just sexually? Maybe what the girl said at Christopher's party wasn't a lie. Maybe he did have a pure heart. Ugh, why is this hard?

"Can I come to your next fashion show, Ms. Ambrosia?"

I look up at Sophie, "Why don't you ask your Uncle?"

We look at him. "Yeah, why not?"

Sophie squeals and some heads turn to see what the noise is. She smiles at me, unaware of the attention she's getting. Kids never care, they had their heads up in the cloud, unafraid, they just lived.

Always happy.

"This is the best day ever," she says, then turns to Alexander. "Mom is going to be so happy."

Sophie tells me a hilarious story about Alexander falling off the slide the other day. I tell them the most hilarious story about Marco falling off his bed when we were younger. Before I know it, we have to leave. I look at the time surprised by how fast time seems to fly by when you were having a good time.

Outside the Cafe, we determined that we were going in different directions.

I watch him walk away with Sophie, I enjoyed my time with him. And I'm sure every girl would want to be in a relationship with him.

Even if I did, I couldn't.

Not yet.