20 - Adam

He had just gotten back from Herbonomics when Landel stormed into their room. The Prince was seething, he was absolutely furious.

Adam had been worrying for the last 30 minutes. Had they been found out? Were they going to be kicked out of the Academy? But he hadn't expected rage from the Prince.

"What's going on, man?"

Landel seemed to finally notice him.  He took a steady, long breath and sat down on the bed opposite of Adam.

"It was dad."

A spike of panic tore through Adam. "Did we get found out?"

Landel rubbed his face. "He suspects that it was me. But I didn't admit to it." He leaned back, letting out an angry yell. "The one person in your life that is supposed to vouch for you is your dad, right? And he won't do that. He's never fucking done that. Ever."

"Well... I mean, we did do it, though," Adam said, smiling, trying to lower the temperature a little bit.

Landel raised his hands and slapped them back down on his knees. "I guess if you want to put it that way." Then a little smirk appeared at the corner of his lips. "Still, though, I just wish that he would give me the benefit of the doubt. Even if I did take the book, why couldn't he trust that I know what I am doing?"

"Man, I totally get that," Adam said.

Landel's eyes fixed on his. "You do?"

"My mom never gave me the benefit of the doubt, ever. She always sticks her nose in my business and then tells me how I should do it. I mean, I love her, don't get me wrong, but she always seems to assume the worse from me."

She was annoying like that. He had complained many times to her before. But now, he would've done anything to have her get over-involved in his business, or call him out on his shit. Adam would've given almost anything if it meant seeing his mom again.

Adam had to force the tears away. He wouldn't cry, not in front of the Prince. He would find a way home. They would be reunited, there was no other choice.

Landel nodded slightly. "And your dad?"

"He's always been a little more chill."

"I see that," Landel said, finally smiling.

The anger seemed to have seeped out of him. He leaned back on the wall and crossed his arms.

"How was the rest of Herbonomics?"

"Vinton had to help me get my mugroot out. He did all the work. But I got it eventually," Adam said. That man really knew his shit when it came to plants.

Landel chuckled. "Seems you've found your Herbonomics tutor."

"Ah, man. Herbonomics is easy as shit. No problems there. It's Calculations that's going to be the death of me. I can't stop thinking about that exam coming up."

"Won't be so bad--"

"I might fail," Adam said. "I'm being completely serious."

Landel slid towards his desk and grabbed the Calculations textbook from the top. He opened it up and winked at Adam. "Lets get to work, then."

Adam sighed. "Probably a good idea."

💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

The rest of the week happened in the shadow of that incident in the library. Everyone was still talking about it. The conversations and gossip became less frequent, but, near the end of the week, Adam still saw some of his classmates look at him strangely. They knew he was friends with Landel.