75 - Breck and Nick

"Lookin' good, buddy." Nick straightened his vest in the armory mirror and, through the glass, smiled at Breck. "Like a real Yevan."

Breck fingered the gold engraving on the front of his vest, the La'Torrie Crest. The dim torchlight in the armory reflected off of the crowned bird and rolling hills. It was a much nicer uniform than the classic defender blacks, there was no doubt about that. The fabric was sturdier, softer, and the fit was tighter.

"Same to you, Defender Fulton." Breck tapped the other man on the shoulder. "Looks like a second skin."

"Fits like a glove."

One of the armory administrators was standing behind them, a young, red-headed man. He nodded at that, jotted a few notes into a book, and then looked up at them. "Good to know. Isli will be pleased." A few moments of silence. The administrator cleared his throat. "If you need any alterations or repairs, let us know as soon as possible. A second uniform will be ready for you to pick up in a few days."

Breck smiled at the young man. "Thanks."

Clearly taking that as his cue, the administrator turned around and walked away, leaving them alone in the back of the dim armory. The torchlight barely lit their faces, and left much of them bathed in shadow.

Breck turned to Nick. "Well, I guess this is it, then. We've gotten the King's approval, we've gotten our uniforms, the only thing that's left is to introduce ourselves to our new squadmates."

Nick nodded, breathed out. "You're right. This is what we've been waiting for." He shook his hands out. "Fuck. Why do I feel so nervous?"

"I feel the same way, Nick." Breck chuckled and approached Nick. He draped an arm around the smaller man's shoulder and started leading him through the narrow, twisting rows of the armory. Glinting swords, sharp pikes, and endless racks of blacks filled the expansive facility. "This is a new start for both of us, so I think a few nerves should be expected."

So far, Breck had managed to keep himself calm, but a familiar, tight press of anxiety was pushing against his mind, always threatening to overwhelm him. But he needed to stay cool, for Nick.

Nick rubbed his face. "I usually don't get like this."

"I think Unil made it pretty clear yesterday that this was going to be different, like nothing we've done before."

"And it's not like i've even done that much. I've been a defender for, what, a few weeks?"

"You must've really impressed them, Nick."

"Yeah? Well, let's hope that continues."

They approached the doors to the armory, the ones that would exit onto the sunny, Yevan-filled courtyard. Breck stopped them both, and then turned to Nick. "You've got this. Commander Teel and Unil are not the only ones you've impressed." He stared into the outsider's dark eyes, trying to force confidence into the other man. "I know I make lots of jokes, but I am constantly in awe of your bravery and your swordskill."

Nick swallowed. When he spoke, his voice was tight, choked. "Thanks, Breck. That means a lot."

"Anytime."

"This is it, then?" Nick turned to the doors. "The start of our new life?"

Breck nodded. "This is it."

Together, they left the armory, the broad, sunlit courtyard coming into view before them. The Yevans were spread out in the space, standing in pairs, watching as Commander Unil marched into position before them.

Breck recognized most of the Yevans. He had worked with them before, in different capacities. The younger ones were a little more unfamiliar to him, but he knew them, somewhat, by reputation.