22 - Landel

On one hand, Landel felt bad for Adam, Chris, and their dads. Finding out that you were becoming a back-jewel must have been terrible. But, on the other hand, Landel was fucking ecstatic. When Vinton had told him that morning, Landel had almost thought the man was joking.

Adam was made for him. Literally, made for him. There was nothing else holding the man back. Except for the fact that he claimed to not like other men. That was an issue. But, for the first time since he had learned that Adam didn't like dick, he was feeling a glimmer of hope.

Which was strange because Vinton didn't seem to be as focused on fucking Chris as he had been in the past. But, whatever, the bet was still going and the keeps were still on the table.

Regardless, though, he had a few things to do that break that did not involve thinking about Adam's perfect ass, or his new back-jewel, or the fact that the Goddess had picked a soulmate for him. Yes, a soulmate. What other explanation could there be?

Landel had been waiting for a good chance to talk to Yerda, and it seemed like it had finally come. After lunch, Landel pulled Adam to the side and made sure nobody was passing, especially not his dad. They still weren't on great terms, Landel and the King. They didn't usually talk that much, but things had been especially tense since their little confrontation in Hiff's office.

"What's going on, man?" Adam said. His cute face was hard not to smile at.

"I'm gonna go see Yerda now. Want to come?"

Adam's face split into a large grin. "Of course."

"Keep it quiet, though," Landel said. "I think my dad still suspects me for that little incident in the library, and we don't want to give him any more reasons to doubt me, yeah?"

Adam nodded. "Sure thing."

Yerda's study was in the highest tower in the palace. Landel and Adam climbed up the cramped, stone, spiral staircase. A few windows let light stream into the stairwell, providing meagre light, and the views out of them showed just how high they were going. The features on the ground, the trees of the sun forest, the curving rivers, and the expansive lakes, got smaller and smaller as they ascended.

"I'm surprised this place doesn't blow over when it gets really windy," Adam said.

Landel turned back to him. "Yerda says that you can feel it groan during storms. Sounds terrifying."

"You wouldn't catch me living in something like this."

Landel laughed. "I'd have to agree with that. Yerda is built a little differently. He doesn't seem to have the same worries as the rest of us."

They came to the end of the staircase and emerged into a small, circular room that had another staircase that led into the ceiling. The new set of stairs ended with a small hatch where it met the roof.

Landel walked up the wooden steps and knocked on the top. A few seconds passed and then the hatch popped open. Yerda's gaunt face peered down at them through the floor.

"Ah, Prince Landel and Adam Fulton."

"Can we come in?" Landel said.

Yerda stepped back and opened the hatch the rest of the way. "Of course. Please do. Much to discuss."

Landel led Adam through the hatch and into the scholar's study, which, all things considered, looked very similar to his study in the library. A large circular window dominated the north wall, looking out over the sun forest and the Goddess. A telescope pointed towards it. The rest of the room was filled with books and scrolls and loosesheets. Landel could hardly see the bed in the corner. Poor man still lived alone. He had never found his soulmate. Though, Landel guessed, that that was the way Yerda liked it. Having a soulmate would only be a distraction for him