93 - Nick (18+)

In the darkness, he found some light, blue and red lights, flashing, spinning.

They were on the top of a police car. A black stripe ran along the white vehicle, and an empty street surrounded it, flicking traffic lights blinking in the distance.

Nick stumbled to the side, his vision barely adjusting in time to see the two, uniformed Chicago Police Department officer's standing in front of him. Their faces were a mix of pity and disapproval.

For some reason, that pissed him off. Anger came easily in the fog of drunkenness.

"Wha... What are you." Nick burped in the middle of his sentence. "What are you guys doing here?"

The neon sign cast the sidewalk in a sickly, violent, green glow. The smell of spilled beer wafted out of the bar behind him, causing his stomach to roil and churn. One more drink, and he would be a fucking goner.

"Sir, how much have you had to drink tonight?" The officer on the left, a tall guy with a pointed nose, asked him. His mouth descended into a sneer. "Did you drive here?"

Nick shook his head and moved to the side. "None of your fucking business." He pointed a shaky finger at them as he walked away. "It's a free country."

Fuck those guys.

Annoyingly, the two officer's followed him. The other one, a smaller, beefier man with dark-brown skin, put his hands on his hips. "Please stop. We just want to make sure you get home safe."

Nick spun around. "That is also none of your fucking business." The smaller officer stepped forwards, as if to grab him. Nick recoiled from that, only barely managing not to fall. He frowned and spat on the ground. "Leave me alone, fucking pig."

"Alright, that's enough of that." The taller one closed the distance between them and looked at Nick sternly, as though he was some misbehaving student. "Either you come with us, and we get you home safe. Or we can place you under arrest for public intoxication. Your choice."

Nick couldn't meet the man's eyes. Not because he didn't want to, but because he couldn't focus. The world was so blurry, so fuzzy. An irrational anger continued to bubble inside him, as though carried on the carby, beery, air in his stomach.

"I can think of a third option." Nick swallowed a burp. "And I think i'll go with that."

The officer shook his head. "Yeah? And what is that?"

Nick clenched his hand into a fist, steadied himself as much as he could, and swung at the officer.

After that, everything was a blur. There was movement, flashes of blue uniforms. More lights. The hard, rough pavement was up against his cheek and there was a sharp pain in his back. He was drooling on the street. He needed to vomit.

"STOP RESISTING!"

Reality flooded into him, and that drunken incident faded away from him, dissolving like fog in the sun. The dirty, dark streets of downtown Chicago were replaced with light, with reality.

He was laying on something warm, something hard. He opened his eyes, and was met with the sight of Breck's face. His eyes were glinting, the promise of tears, and his faces was scrunched up with concern.

"Nick?" He ran a gentle hand over his face.

All Nick wanted to do was fall back asleep. Now that he knew that he was in Breck's arms, that he was safe, he wanted to drift off into a dreamless, peaceful sleep.

But he couldn't do that, not now.

"What... what happened?"

Breck gave him a sympathetic glance, and then looked upwards. "They got us."