Chapter 1: hell

"Harper sweetie it's time for your meds

"Harper sweetie it's time for your meds."
I turned around and sat up on the bed. Martha my nurse came up to me and handed me my pills.
She passed me some water and I swallowed.
"You know the drill, open up." She said
I opened as wide as I could and she looked inside my mouth to make sure I had swallowed my meds.
"Alright, the gaming room is closed for today, they're upgrading some things. Just wanted to let you know, I know that's your favorite place." She said.
I smiled
"Thank Martha." She walked out and I just sat there on my bed.
Why are you taking pills? Why do you have a nurse you might ask. Well I live in a mental hospital, well it's more of a rehab center for teens and young adults who need help getting back to normal. My parents were killed 9 years ago, and after that happened I wanted revenge so I looked for the guy. I ended up finding him but when I did it was too late, his family had told me he committed suicide 1 week after he killed my family. After that I fell into a deep depression and I attempted to hang myself. Some lady found me and took me here, and I've been here ever since. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I stay here because I like it. It keeps me sane and it's not some psycho hospital, everyone here is kinda just lost in a way.
I put on my crocs and I went down to the outdoor deck. The gaming room was my go to, but since it was closed this was my only option.
I walked out there and my friend Cody was there.
"Ayyy Harper come sit with me."
I met Cody a few days after I got here. He was struggling with bipolar disorder and his parents sent him here to get help.
"Whats up." I said as I sat down next to him.
"Nothing much, since the gaming room is closed it was either this or the sewing circle."
"Haha yeah I know."
"Where's Tammy? I haven't seen her since last week." I asked
"Didn't you hear? She tried to cut her arm last night with one of the nurses pens. She lunged at the nurse and took her pen and stabbed her arm."
"Damn that sucks." I said sadly.
Sometimes people here don't get better and they have to stay here most of their lives. Tammy had been here since she was 16,she's 23 now. She just hasn't gotten better and they didn't want her to go home and cause herself more harm. We have freedom here but it's very limited. We're watched 24:7 and we aren't aloud to have certain things.
We sat out there for a while talking and then it was time for lunch.
We all walked inside and waited in line.
"Looks like it's meatloaf for dinner." Said Cody
"Eww." I said
After we grabbed our food we sat down at our usual table. I started to eat and then one of Cody's friends came to sit with us.
"Hey vin what's up?" Said Cody
"Nothing much, kinda just here you know."
"Hey do you know when the game room is going to open back up?" He asked
"No I don't. My nurse said it won't be too long though." Said Cody.
I picked at my food and I could feel vinnie staring at me.
"Who are you?" He asked
I looked up and I pointed to myself.
"Me?"
"Yeah."
"Harper?"
"Oh. Cool." He stood up and went back to his table.
I knew all about him. He had been here for 3 years, I don't know his whole story. I had a crush on him when I first got here, I still do but it would only be a simple crush nothing more..