Chapter 10: Angel

Vinnies pov
I went back to my room and I slammed the door.
I was angry. Why did I always have to be the bad guy? Why is it every time I like a girl I end up messing up someway or another?
I punched the wall and screamed.
My knuckles were bruised and bloody.

My door opened and it was Martha

My door opened and it was Martha.  She looked scared.
"You okay? I heard a loud bang."
She looked down at my hand  and she shook her head.
"Are you kidding me vinnie. You punched the wall again."
"Sorry. I had to let it all out somehow." I said
"Sit down boy. Let me clean it up."
I sat down on the bed and she cleaned my hand up. She wrapped it up in a bandage and she took off her gloves.
"Is this over Harper?" She asked
I looked down and nodded.
"What happened this time? Did you talk to her like I told you to?"
"Yeah but she hates me. I swear I always mess things up. I shouldn't have talked to Scarlett I should have just left it like that. I'm a Fuck up."
"Honey you're not a fuck up. You can't help that that's who you are. You're a caring person who makes sure others are okay before you're okay. She should understand that. You were just being friendly because that's just how you were born." She patted my back and said
"Never feel like you ruin things. The puzzle pieces will slowly come together you'll see."
I gave her a faint smile and she closed my door.
I sat there and just stared at my bloody bandaged hand.
Next day Harpers pov
It was time for breakfast and we did breakfast a little bit more different than lunch or dinner. At breakfast everyone from floors 1-4 would come down and eat, which meant the cafeteria was more packed. I hate eating with so many people so I usually skip it, but I had to go today because Martha made me. I hadn't eaten in days and she wanted me to at least eat something.
We walked in and we waited in line. I looked over at the far end of the cafeteria and vinnie was sitting there with one of his friends from the 2 floor.
"Harper come on the lines moving." Said Martha. I quickly snapped out of my trans and moved up in line.
I grabbed my food, but I didn't want to eat here.
"Can I eat in my room?" I asked
"Yeah or coarse, but you know I have to be there with you since you haven't been eating."
I nodded. "That's fine." We left the cafeteria and went back to my room.
Vinnies pov
I was sitting at the table with Devin. He was one of my friends here. He lived on the second floor which was the floor for people with drug slash suicidal tendency issues. He was older than me. He's about 25.

"That girl keeps looking at you man

"That girl keeps looking at you man. Is she okay?"
I looked back and he was talking about Harper.
I nodded. "Yeah that's Harper. That girl I told you about."
"That's her?" He asked surprised.
"I thought she would be different, like more skinny slash emo."
"Yeah well she's not."
"You guys aren't talking or what?"
I shook my head.
"Nope. She's mad at me for talking to the new girl Scarlett."
"Scarlett? I Met her yesterday she's fine as hell dude."
"Yeah well she's okay I guess."
"I Can see why she's mad at you. I mean look at Scarlett I would be mad at you to if you were friends with her."
He wasn't helping the situation, he was honestly making me mad.
"I'm gonna go. See you around." I dumped my tray and went back to my room. I didn't want to do anything today.
I sat in my room just staring at the wall. I couldn't do much. They took my tv away because I tried to hang myself with the tv cord last year when I had a mental breakdown.
Knock knock
"Come in."
"Hey Vin." Said Martha
"Hey."
"Why aren't you down at the arcade today?"
"Just didn't feel like it." I looked back at the wall and just messed with my fingers.
"Well good news." She smiled
"What?"
"You have a visitor."
"Who?" I asked
"It's your sister Hannah."
I smiled.
"I'll be back to get you in a few minutes." She said.
Hannah was my sister from foster care. Before I ended up here I went to a foster home and that's where I met her. She was a foster kid there too and we just hit it off. She was in the system because her mom was in jail for a drug charge and her dad had overdosed a while back and he ended up passing away.
I got ready and I called Martha to come take me to the visitation area.
I entered the room and as soon as I did she ran up to me and hugged me.

I picked her up and she started to laugh

"Okay i get it haha put me down."
I let her go and we dat down at the table.
She smiled.
"So how's it going?"
"It's okay."
"Uh oh what's wrong?"
"I'm just struggling. There's this girl."
Her eyes widened.
"A girl? Omg who?!"
"Her names Harper she's amazing I swear, but I think I fucked up. She hates me."
"What do you mean?" She asked
"She thinks I like this other girl that I was talking to. She's new here and I just wanted to make her feel comfortable."
She frowned.
"I'm sorry brother. That sounds hard."
"But hey I'll get through it." I said
"Enough about me. What about you how are you?"
"I'm good actually, I came to tell you something." She smiled.
I raised an eyebrow.
"What?"
"I'm pregnant." She started to cry and my eyes just widened. I couldn't stop smiling . I was so happy for her. All she ever wanted was to be a mom.
"That's great Im happy for you sis."
"I'm like 3 months barley but I'm ready for it to be over this baby has me tired like 24/7."
I laughed. "Haha i Bet."
She grabbed my hand and looked at me.
"I want you to know that you're an amazing person, and that I know you and that girl will get through this. You just have to keep pushing. Show her that you're going to do whatever it takes for her to forgive you. I can tell this girl makes you happy brother. I can see it in your eyes. She makes you glow."
"That's all I ever wanted for you. Ive always  wanted you  to be happy and now I'm finally seeing that after years. So just take your time with this one and let thing smooth over. I promise it will be worth it."
I could feel tears fill my eyes.
"She does make me happy. She makes me feel alive, I don't feel as dark and empty when I'm with her. She helps me forget everything that happened you know."
"She's like my ángel." I said
Hannah smiled. "I Can Tell. Trust me we all have an Angel sent to us in our darkest of times and she's yours."
"I have to get to my appointment I just stopped by to tell you the news." She stood up and we hugged.
"Thanks for coming sis."
"No problem brother. I'll come to see you again Friday. I love you."
"I love you too." We broke the hug and she left.
This is what I needed. I needed a sign to keep going, and that's what I received.