Chapter 8: Jealosy

Harpers pov
It was time for lunch and I headed down to the cafeteria. Cody had therapy today so I was eating by myself at the table. I was picking at my food and when I looked up I saw vinnie walking towards the front of the cafeteria. He looked at me and we made eye contact but he turned away quick.
I threw my spoon on my tray and stood up to throw it away.
I saw him in line and I just shook my head when he looked at me.
I left the cafeteria and headed to my room. I didn't want to do anything else but sit alone and cry.
I laid there in my bed staring at the ceiling. We couldn't have headphones so I just listened to the birds outside.
Knock knock
I rolled my eyes and stood up to open the door.
It was vinnie.
"Hey." I said plainly
"Hey... Can we talk?" I nodded and let him in. We weren't supposed to have boys in our rooms but I had to make this one exception.
We sat down on my bed and i could already feel the tears coming in.
My lips started to quiver and I just let it all out.
"Damn I haven't even said anything and you're already crying."
"Yeah well sorry Vin I'm a sensitive person."
He just paused and looked at me.
"What did you want to tell me." I said
"Sorry for what I did. I like you I really do you're an amazing girl. I'm sorry I acted like a dick it's just that I don't want to lose what we have going on. I like how we are now and I don't want to disappoint you. I always seem to disappoint girls I care about."
I wiped my eyes and I just sat there.
It was silent for a bit.
"Well say something." He said
"You're not going to disappoint me. Trust me I'm used to disappoint so I don't expect anything from anyone anymore. I see where you're coming from though, and you're right it's best to let things move on their own and not rush things."  I explained. He smiled and reached in to hug me.
His hugs were the best. They were so warm and comforting.
He leaned back and our eyes met. He started to lean in and the door opened.
He quickly moved away.
"I'm gonna let this slide, next time I won't. Come on you two there's a group meeting."  Said Martha
"For what?" I asked confused.
"New girl they want you all to get to know her."
We followed Martha down to the group hall and everyone was already there.
We sat down and our group leader Dustin was already there.
Next to him was a girl with short brown hair, petite build, she was about 5'2 she looked like she was 12.
"Everyone this is Scarlett she will be with us for some time. Scarlett introduce yourself."

She waved at everyone and gave us a faint smile

"I'm Scarlett as Dustin just said. Um I'm 18 and I lived in Nebraska until I had to come here."
She put her head down and just messed with her fingers. I could tell she was anxious.
"Alright everyone I just wanted you all to get to know Scarlett you can all head back to your rooms. Please treat her with respect and kindness."
We all started to leave the hall and I noticed vinnie wasn't with me. I looked back and he was talking to the new girl. I couldn't make out what they were saying but they sure were smiling and laughing with each other.
I ignored it and went to my room.
It was barley 5:30 pm and I was bored out of my mind. I decided to go down to the gaming room just to play for a bit.
I walked in and vinnie was sitting down with Scarlett near the entrance.
"Ignore it Harper ignore the jealousy." I said to myself.
I tried to ignore it, but vinnie grabbed my hand.
"Hey Harper come sit with me and Scarlett."
I gave her a fake smile and said
"No thanks I'll pass."
I walked away but Vinnie grabbed my arm and stopped me.
"Why are you being so rude?"
"I'm not."
"Yeah you are that was rude."
"I'm not Vinnie now leave me alone!" I yelled.
Everyone looked at me and I ran out of there. I didn't want to die of embarrassment.
Vinnies pov
Harper ran out of the room and everyone just stared at her. I felt bad but I couldn't do anything to stop her.
I sat back down with Scarlett.
"Is She your girlfriend?"
I shook my head.
"No.. just a friend."
"Anyway back to what I was saying."
"What brought you here if you don't mind me asking."
She moved her hair behind her ear and she let out a sigh.
"I tried to commit suicide... and well here I am." She just shrugged her shoulders.
"Your parents took you here?" I asked
She nodded and gave me an awkward smile.
"Yup. They think I'm crazy."
"What about you why are you here?"
"Rather not talk about it." I said
"Oh sorry. I didn't mean to pry."
I shook my head.
"No it's fine."
I checked the time and it was already 6pm.
"Well it's time to get back to our rooms. Come on ill walk you." We walked to her room and it was right next to harpers.
"See you tomorrow." I said
She smiled.
"Yeah bye."
She closed her door and before I walked off I heard another door close. It was harpers door.
"Harper open up." I banged on her door.
"No go away!"
"I know you were eavesdropping." I yelled
There was no response.
"Fine I'll leave you alone. Goodnight."
I left it at that and didn't think much of it.
She was just being jealous, but a jealous girl wasn't a good thing. It never is.