Chapter 2: Nightmare

Harpers pov
"That was weird as hell. What's his problem?" I asked Cody
"He's just a little off just like the rest of us. He's cool trust me."
"Do you know why he's here?" I asked
He shrugged his shoulders
"Not sure all I know is that he's been here for like 4 years now I think maybe 5."
My eyes widened.
"Holy shit." I said
"Oh yeah trust me I said the same thing."
We threw our lunch trays away and we had an hour left before we had to go back to our rooms. I decided to go to walk on the track.
I sat down on the track and just looked at the sunset.

"Nice huh

"Nice huh." I heard someone say.
I turned around and it was vinnie.

"Yeah

"Yeah. It's cool." I said
He sat down next to me and he said
"It's my favorite part of the day. Kinda gives me a bit of happiness, and for a moment I don't feel numb."
Woah this just got personal way too quick.
I didn't know what to say, before I could even think of anything he stood up and walked away.
What a weirdo I thought to myself.
I stood up and went back to my room.
My nurse walked in and she handed me my cup with pills.
"My mom is cooking that banana pudding you love so much I'll bring you some tomorrow."
I smiled
"Oh my gosh thank you!!! I can't eat more of that cafeteria food. I think I might die."
She just laughed
"Haha alright baby I'll see you later get some rest."
I gave her a smile and she headed out.
I laid down on my bed and just stared at the ceiling. I soon dazed off.
Flashback 3 person pov
Bang bang
10 year old Harper was in her room and she was awaken by yelling and blood curdling screams.
She walked over to her parents room and they weren't moving. They were covered in blood faced down. She went over to her older sisters room and she was on the floor also covered in blood.
She went downstairs and the front door was wide open. She could hear the sirens coming towards her.
End of flashback
I woke up in a sweat and my nurse Martha was there stroking my hair.
I started to cry and I hugged her.
"Another nightmare huh." She asked while holding me.
I just nodded.
Nightmares like that have been going on since I could remember. I had them almost every night and then they stopped, but recently they started up again and this time they are vivid. I see it all.
Next morning
I woke up took my pills and I had group today. Group sucked because no one says their real feelings, so it's basically a waste of time for everyone there, but it was mandatory for everyone. We all had it different days.
I walked down to the Rec center and sat down in our little circle. I sat next to Cody of course.
"You okay? You look  horrible." Asked Cody.
"Yeah I just didn't sleep much." I simply said.
Our group mentor came in and sat down.
"Welcome everyone. I'd like to start off my welcoming our new member vinnie to the group."
"Hey vinnie." They all said.
Not this kid I thought.
"Hi guys I had to switch groups because in my last one I punched a kid in the face so yeah I'm here."
I just looked at Cody and he looked at me like I don't know.
He sat down next to some girl and we began the meeting.
"So let's start off with Harper."
"Harper anything you'd like to share or talk about?"
"Nope not really."
"You sure? Your nurse told me you had a nightmare last night." He said
Why did I have to be put on the spot?
"Yeah I mean I did, but it's fine." I said
"Are they becoming more frequent?"
"I mean Im not sure. It's been happening for like 4 days straight already." I said. I started to feel my eyes fill with tears.
"I'm sorry but I'd rather not talk about it." I said while wiping my eyes.
Cody held my hand and looked me in the eyes and mouthed
"It's okay."
I gave him a slight smile.
I could feel everyone just staring at me, I felt uncomfortable.
"Anyone want to share?" Asked the mentor.
Vinnie raised his hand.
"I will."
"The floor is yours."
"So these last couple of days, I've been having these thoughts of you know survivors guilt. It eats me up inside so bad that I just want to you know. I dream about my mom all the time and it's like when I wake up, I get sent back  to my harsh reality. You know."
"I just want to feel normal." He said.
I didn't think he was such a sentimental guy. He looks so tough and hard and he gives off those vibes as well. A few other people shared and it was time for activity hour.
I didn't have any energy to even do anything so I just stayed in my room all day.
I laid there on the bed just looking at my ceiling as always.
Knock knock
I opened the door and it was a topper with a note on top. It read;
Hope you have a good day! Love you stay strong- Martha
I smiled at the note. It was her moms banana pudding she had promised me.
The only sweet thing in my life....