The Marsmatical

I steered the ship away from the course of Earth, and headed straight for Mars. "Are you sure about this? Marsmaticals are not the friendliest aliens to come in contact with" Adam said, as he looked over at me concerned. "What other choice do we have? if we got to Earth, they're gonna try and stop us. Plus, Iris said she had a friend who could help us" i asked, "if it gets us in danger, especially you-" he started, which made my heart swell. "We're gonna be okay, as long as we're together" i said, the ship started landing on Mars. 

Once we land, my suit analyzes the planet and transitions my skin into a Marsmatical. "Get behind me" i said, as i opened the entrance door of the ship. "Why?" Adam asked, as we stepped out on to the boiling hot planet, and within an instant a fire breathing dragon was already blowing heat in our direction. I grab a shield and use it to protect myself from the fire, as Adam hides behind it with me. We then run past the dragon making it to the crowd of people, flooding the streets of Mars nearby. "It should be this way" Adam said, as he looked over at the address Iris had forwarded us through the ship. After several streets later, and a few neighborhoods past, we made it to the door of the Marsmatical who could potentially help us. 

"Who goes there?" a voice asked, as he looked at us through the peephole of his door, "Iris from Venus, she told us you could help us" Adam said, as the Marsmatical squinted. His eyes were a scary dark red, as his skin was an even brighter red, he had a few freckles on his face, as he eyed us from the front door. Within a few seconds, he unlocks the door and ushers us inside. "Any friends of Iris, are definitely friends of mine" he said, as we made it into his two story town home. "There's something else too" i said, getting ready to reveal my true identity, before Adam stopped me. "How do we know he won't kill us?" Adam whispered, as i looked at him. 

"If Iris can trust him, so can we" i said, and with that i tapped my suit, as my human form was revealed once more. The Marsmatical took a step back abruptly, and looked at us in awe. "Well i'll be damned, Iris was right. The prophecy is true!" he said, as i smiled, looking over at Adam. "Here, you must be tired! hungry! please.." he said, as he gestured us to the table and brought out some human food, like a loaf of bread and soup to eat. I started to feel jet lag bouncing from one planet to the next every chance we got, it was nice to stay put for a second. 

While we ate, i was curious to know how the Marsmatical could withstand his urge to eat us. I wanted to put the rumors to the test. "May i ask? why does your kind feast upon human flesh?" i asked, as Adam nearly choked on his soup. The Marmatical laughed, as he leaned back in chair. "I actually consider myself a vegetarian, but it's because we believe eating the skin of the impure provides us with some kind of power. Just like how your ancestors ate animal meat, you guys are like our animal meat. Think of it like protein" he said, as i laughed. Adam didn't think it was funny. "I've always wanted to leave Mars, to get away from my people and flee to Jupiter or something. There's nothing for me here anyways" he said, as i frowned. 

"No family? no friends?" i asked, as he shook his head, "not so much, no. My family died in a fire, and i was never the kind of person to make friends. Iris and i met online, it's kind of a long story." he said, as i smiled, remembering how kind Iris was. "Well, when you're finished here, i've got some clean clothes and a place for you to rest for the night." he said, getting up from the table. "Thank you so much, for all of this really" i said, as he smiled, giving me a nod. "It's my pleasure" he said, giving us a quick bow. "You don't have to do that" Adam said, as he shrugged. "I don't mind" he said, and walked off into the living room. 

I took a quick shower before changing into the clothes that were left for me, and grabbing an oxygen pill to take. I realized this was my last one, as i took a breath, forcing myself not to panic. This was just a quick detour and then Adam and i were on our way to Earth. Those aliens couldn't block the Earth forever. "Everything okay?" Adam asked, as he came into the room drying his hair from the shower he took after me. "Yeah, everything's fine.." i said, hiding the last pill into the pack on my suit, as it dissolved into the back of the suit. I then sat on the edge of the bed, wearing only an oversized t shirt and undies, as Adam sat next to me.