Part One

I woke up to soft rays of sunlight warming my body. Peeking out the open window I was welcomed by the golden sun slowly entering the sky. I loved these mornings when I could sit in the silence of the early morning, simply listening as the wind whistled through the tall grasses and the birds sang as they awakened. These moments were quickly fleeting though as my family would soon ruin the silence but I love them.

As I took a deep breath, inhaling the crisp morning air, I was startled by the familiar voices of my siblings arguing. You would think for small children that they would be at least a little tired at such an early hour but apparently not. Quickly, I got dressed in my colorful day dress and put on my large golden earrings. I don't know why everyone wore them, they are beautiful but heavy. Despite that, they were special, gifted to me on my thirteenth birthday from my parents.

Rubbing my eyes, I entered the kitchen of our family home while I finished braiding my dark hair. This room was always alive with laughter and the delicious aroma of food.

"Good morning, family," I said smiling at them all. Tipo, my little brother, was already stuffing food down his throat.

They all said their good mornings, my mom turning away from her cooking to give me a hug.

"Oh, sweetie, good morning. You look more beautiful every time I see you." Her face quickly turned stern as she looked towards my brother, "Tipo! Stop stealing your sister's food!" My little sister looked at him proudly from getting mom to yell at him.

I sat down at the table with my plate of food, "Dad? Good morning?" He was studying a letter so intently that he seemed detached from his surroundings.

My dad slowly looked up at me, realizing how he zoned out. "Oh dear, I didn't even realize you sat down. Sorry, honey." I eyed the letter with my eyebrows raised, silently asking him what was so strongly holding his attention. "It's nothing, really. Just a letter from the palace."

My eyes flew wide, "What? From the palace? What does it say?" This was a big deal! While my dad was the leader of our village, that job had never given him a reason to travel to the palace! "Are you gonna see the Emperor? Are they finally giving the village the things we need to build the school? Are—"

"Amara," my dad silenced me with a soft smile, "The Emperor simply gave me a summons. I have no idea what he wants." He folded up the letter and started to eat his breakfast.

"Okay," I licked my lips, my eyes darting to my mom who was looking at me with a quirked eyebrow, her classic look, "I'll go with you."

The spoon my dad was holding halted on its way to his mouth, "What?"

"I'll go with you?" My statement turned into a meek question after seeing his shock.

"I don't know if that's the best idea," He saw my hopeful face get dashed away, "Amara, it's a dangerous journey. I don't want you to be put at risk. Chicha, help me out here."

My dad looked at my mom with desperation on his face. "Not today, Pacha." She pointed her finger at my dad, the other hand perched on her hip. "You have to stop protecting her and I think this is a great opportunity for Amara to prove her independence."

"Exactly!" My mom's eyes darted to me with a warning glance. I shut my mouth. It was astonishing how threatening she could appear even as a pregnant woman.

My dad released a big breath and rested his chin on his palm, "Alright."

"Alright?" I asked with wide eyes and a widening smile.

Seeing my enthusiasm, my dad laughed, "You better be ready. We have to leave shortly to make it to the palace on time."

I squealed, my chair toppling over as I rushed to my dad in a hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Chuckling, my dad gathered me in his big bear arms. "Does that mean I can go too?" Chaca, my little sister asked, "I want to prove I'm a grown woman too!" She stood strongly on her stool.

We all laughed, Tipo fell over in his chair as giggles overtook his little body. "No, little missy, you're staying here with me and your brother," my mom said. Chaca slumped back in her chair, her face puffed with disappointment.

Soon after, my dad and I said our goodbyes and were on our way to see the emperor.