Part Nine

Squinting my eyes in desperation I was still unable to see them as the canyon walls blocked the sunlight the further the descent. I called down to the darkness, "Dad? Kuzco?" The only response I received was the faint echo of rocks hitting each other or large boulders plunging into the water. I decided to push away my grief but only so that I could focus on getting myself to safety.

The ropes that twined around me were still connected to the remaining sections of the bridge, the posts in the ground. I tugged on them with one hand, the other gripping the rock wall, to test their durability. It seemed strong enough, and with no other option, I grabbed the rope with both hands and wrapped my legs around it. Was I strong? Not at all but the adrenaline pumping in my veins made this possible.

Each time I reached up on the rope my body got heavier. My muscles were tight and sweat was streaming everywhere. I reached out my arm once more but found that my fingers grasped...grass! And dirt! I clambered out the last foot or so and found myself spread out on the ground in exhaustion. My arms now burned after being released from their duties.

Wiping the sweat from my face, I stood up to peer down the canyon. My dad was still nowhere in sight. I tried to hold back my imagination but it was actually quite possible that he died. My eyes grew irritated and my throat clenched in pain. Yelling. That's what my ears strained to hear but it was there.

Patting the tears away with my poncho, hope grew inside my chest. The screaming quickly grew louder and I eventually was able to make out the forms of my dad and the Emperor. They were alive! A swarm of bats seemed to be moving them up towards the top of the cliff. Somehow, they came to land behind me as I watched the strange occurrence.

Both looked at each other in shock and then laughed awkwardly. "Dad!" I exclaimed in amazement. He gave a big smile and opened his arms for me to run into but before I could take a step, the ground beneath me began to crumble away. Oh, not again.

The Emperor shouted, "Look out!" snatching me with his long neck at the very last second. He tossed me back into my dad's arms where I was gasping for air once more.

My dad looked at me in concern while I stared at the Emperor in amazement, ignoring his strange victory dance. "You just saved my life."

"Huh? So?" uncomfortable, he cleared his throat.

I jabbed my finger in his furry chest, "I knew it!"

"Knew what?"

I smiled, "That there was some good in you after all." He continued to deny it. "Yes, there is, Kuzco, even if it is deep, deep, deep-"

"Okay! I get it."

I continued, "Deep, deep down." I let out a goofy laugh and hugged him, overflowing with the joy of all of us being alive.

My dad joined us, encompassing us in his large arms, and gave his thanks for saving his daughter. Even though Kuzco sternly said, "No touchy," he didn't make any effort to push away. Knowing that he could only tolerate it so long, we stepped back.

Kuzco rolled his eyes, "Come on, what's the big deal? Nobody's that heartless," he gasped, looking at my dad strangely, "Don't read too much into it. It was a one-time thing."

My dad wiped the dirt off his hands, "Right. Sure. Well, we better get going. With that bridge out, it's a 4-day walk to the palace."

"What?" he asked surprised, "You mean you're taking me back?"

"Yeah I don't know, dad," I bumped my hip into Kuzco, "four days with this guy is unbearable." Kuzco stuck his tongue at me but I just did it back.

"Well, I hope you realize that doesn't change a thing. I'm still building Kuzcotopia when I get back."

"Well, four days is a long time. Who knows? Maybe you'll change your mind." We began to walk back towards the other route to the palace.

"What are the chances of you carrying me?"

My dad laughed, "Not good."

Kuzco looked to me, "Amar-"

"In your dreams, llama."

~

It took a while for us to retrace our steps through the jungle. The dirt path we followed went into a fork, one way leading to the bridge that was now demolished and the other being the long way to the palace. That was the one we were now walking on, it was the original path before the bridge was built.

"So, Amara," I looked at Kuzco to show I was listening and he continued hesitantly, "I was thinking...when I get back to the palace and all that..." I looked at him, waiting for him to continue. He shook his head, seeming to change his mind about something, "that I could help out with the school thing?"

Cautiously I clarified, "You mean you want to help me? I mean others? Like, get the resources we need, build a school?"

He looked at the ground, "Well, yeah?"

I smiled, "Okay."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I think that'd be great." Smiling to himself, he rushed off to my dad who was walking ahead of us. Something was said about blood sugar followed by my dad picking up Kuzco and continuing to carry him. The llama looked over my dad's shoulder and winked at me, I shook my head in shock but couldn't hold back my laugh.

~

After a while, we came upon a small diner facing a valley of hills. No matter the quality of the food, we were starving. About to walk into the restaurant, we were halted by a 'no llama' sign on the door. Weird rule.

I looked towards my dad and Kuzco to find them smirking at each other. "Oh, please no." So that's what led us to be seated at a table, the two of them acting like newlyweds.

The waitress came to our table, not putting any effort to hide her judgment of the ugly woman (Kuzco).

The two guys giggled at each other, acting like they were in love, "We're on our honeymoon," my dad stated proudly.

The waitress, emotionless, looked at me, "I'm her sister," I said nodding my head towards Kuzco, "different dads," I shrugged.

I was impressed by her skills of remaining so stoic, "Bless you for coming out in public."

We all burst out in laughter as she left to give our orders to the chef.