Epilogue Part Two

I sat on the steps outside our Inn. The light breeze would have been appreciated but the air was still chilly from the early morning. Besides the tired llama hooked to the cart, there was no movement in the alley lined with homes and our humble Inn.

Today, Kuzco would be leaving for his trip back to the palace. After our argument was resolved, he made plans to return and that day quickly arrived. As it approached, it only made me realize how much I would miss him.

We had been with each other for a straight six months so it was strange that I would barely see him over the next six. We agreed to meet up when we could over the next months but it would be minimum because of how long it took to travel.

I laughed as I remembered all the funny moments that happened because of Kuzco. My favorite was when he was talking to one of the first Inn owners we visited at the beginning of our travels.

~

"I got this, Amara." Kuzco stopped me with his hand and strode up to the counter. I stood next to Deja as I didn't care as long as we got to sleep soon. I was exhausted.

Kuzco rested his elbow on the counter, his leg crossed over the other. His usual cocky but relaxed posture. "Hello, good sir, we will be needing two of your finest rooms, please." He glanced at me and winked with a smirk chiseled to his face.

Deja and I couldn't hold it in any longer causing us to burst out in laughter. The few guests in the lobby area glared at us. "Kuzco-" I gasped but couldn't get any other words out. He wasn't listening anyway as he continued talking to the owner.

A rather beautiful woman came out from behind a curtain. Probably an area for the employees. She whispered into the owner's ear and then walked away.

"Oh, was that your wife? Lovely lady," Kuzco jabbed a thumb over his shoulder, "that's my girl over there. Amara, come over here."

I looked at Deja and giggled as I walked over to Kuzco.

He began asking the owner about any local places we should eat at. The large owner simply glowered at Kuzco, the latter was completely oblivious. Instead of replying, a pair of keys were thrown at Kuzco.

Finally realizing that the owner wasn't up for conversation, Kuzco took the keys and walked towards the rooms. "Tough crowd," he shrugged.

"Enjoy your stay," a snarky but feminine voice snipped. Kuzco's features furrowed with confusion as he looked at the owner.

Deja and I collapsed against each other, consumed by the hilarity of the situation again.

Kuzco's attention darted towards us, "Wha–"

"The owner's a woman, Kuzco," Deja explained as I fell to the floor.

~

We got to see so many amazing places in the time we've been gone. Though, I think the most beneficial time we spent was with the locals. Kuzco was able to meet and talk with village leaders in the small areas we visited and the citizens of some of the larger cities.

He learned a lot about what the people needed and I was able to discuss the school system we were going to implement across the Empire. It would be hard but the best for our people in the long run.

I heard a commotion behind me as the cart owner brought out some of Kuzco's luggage. He was such a queen. Kuzco followed a bit later with the rest of his bags, putting them onto the cart.

He walked to stand in front of me and wiped the dust off his hands. I looked up at him but didn't say anything. We were both delaying the inevitable. A cough from the cart owner made us snap out of our hesitation. I quickly jumped into Kuzco's open arms and he held me firmly against his chest.

We pulled apart and he weakly smiled at my teary eyes. "I'll see you soon," he whispered while running his fingers through my hair.

I nodded. "See you soon." He hesitated but eventually pulled away from me and sat on the cart. The cart owner flicked the reins to the llama making it slowly walk away, pulling the cart and Kuzco with it. "I love you, Kuzco!"

He turned around to look at me and grinned. "I love you, Amara. I'll be waiting for you."

I only smiled and watched as they rode down the dirt path that would eventually lead to the palace. They disappeared as the hills covered them from sight.

I sighed then headed back into the Inn. I crawled into my cool bed in the room me and Deja were sharing. She said goodbye to Kuzco last night instead of waking up as early as I did this morning.

~

Kuzco turned towards the man taking him back to the palace. "I'm gonna marry that girl."

The cart owner gave an authentic smile but focused his attention back on the road. He enjoyed the silence that followed but that was quickly dashed away as his passenger began talking... incessantly.